GM better come up with something better than their current engine lineups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder what GM is going too do in the future too compete with Toyota. On September 19th Toyota introduced the new engines that will be in the new Tundra and most likely the newly redesigned 2023 Toyota Sequoia that gets introduced later this year. Toyota is going away from V8 engines and are going too offer two 3.5 liter twin turbo V6 engines. The I-Force max has an electric motor sandwiched between the engine and transmission. The base 3.5 twin turbo I-Force engine pumps out 389hp with 479lb-ft of torque. The I-Force Max hybrid engine jumps those numbers up to an amazing 437hp and 583 lb-ft of torque. They can tow of to 12,000 pounds!!!!! I was going too order a 2022 Tahoe with the 3.0 diesel too replace our current 2021 Tahoe with the 5.3 that we Lemon lawed but they put the 3.0 diesel on hold until the end of the year. We are also replacing our 2013 Honda Pilot with a diesel Suburban or Yukon XL next summer. After having seen the numbers on these engines from Toyota it looks like my wife and I will be getting his and hers Toyota Sequoias 1f642.png LOL. Their engines have diesel torque numbers along with great MPG capability and 0-60 numbers that should be sub 6 seconds with the I-Force max engine. I'll be interested too see if GM is going too counter with a Turbo V6 and or hybrid option soon. Lets face it a 5.3 v8 and 6.2 v8 with a DFM system is way behind the times now. An all electric large SUV won't work for our family because we take long trips and tow stuff. Come on GM get with the times!!!!!!!! https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/tundra/

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I got nothing against turbo engines, I like them.

That said, Ford’s been doing it for years. And interestingly, a Ford dealer with a popular YouTube channel polls their technicians periodically on their preferred engine for personal use. The NA V8 wins every time over the turbo 6. TC Customs is their channel IIRC.

I would probably prefer a turbo 6 in warranty. Out of warranty I prefer to wrench on the 5.3.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That said, Ford’s been doing it for years. And interestingly, a Ford dealer with a popular YouTube channel polls their technicians periodically on their preferred engine for personal use. The NA V8 wins every time over the turbo 6. TC Customs is their channel IIRC.

I would probably prefer a turbo 6 in warranty. Out of warranty I prefer to wrench on the 5.3.
583 lb-ft of torque has me drooling :) LOL. I can't wait too test drive one of these beasts :)

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You would be nuts too drive anything new these days without a current warranty.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all the 2022 Sequoia get horrible MPG.... I mean 13 in the City. I get better mpg with my 2012 Yukon XL because the Toyota V8 is a pig of an engine. The LS engine is extremely efficient.

The 3.0 Duramax has way better MPG if thats your thing. The torque it has is amazing according to all reports.

Having said that the constraints have hit EVERYONE.

GM needs to do some work...there is no doubt about that.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no comparison between Diesel and Petrol vehicles, no matter the maker. Diesels make torque down low where you can actually use it. Not many people drive around at 5600 RPM... Also a diesels worst mileage will still be above any of the above mentioned engines and not have to use + .80 cents a gallon premium.
Lastly, no legitimate engine builder is going to put much more developmental engineering dollars in ANY fueled engine. That handwriting is on the wall, like it or hate it...

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no comparison between Diesel and Petrol vehicles, no matter the maker. Diesels make torque down low where you can actually use it. Not many people drive around at 5600 RPM... Also a diesels worst mileage will still be above any of the above mentioned engines and not have to use + .80 cents a gallon premium.
Lastly, no legitimate engine builder is going to put much more developmental engineering dollars in ANY fueled engine. That handwriting is on the wall, like it or hate it...
Diesel seems to be more expensive than premium gas here. But maybe that's because Costco doesn't sell diesel here in Maryland.

I won't go electric until they can get about 1500-2000 miles on a single charge unloaded. When you load up a tow vehicle, you can cut that estimated range in half at best.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder what GM is going too do in the future too compete with Toyota. On September 19th Toyota introduced the new engines that will be in the new Tundra and most likely the newly redesigned 2023 Toyota Sequoia that gets introduced later this year. Toyota is going away from V8 engines and are going too offer two 3.5 liter twin turbo V6 engines. The I-Force max has an electric motor sandwiched between the engine and transmission. The base 3.5 twin turbo I-Force engine pumps out 389hp with 479lb-ft of torque. The I-Force Max hybrid engine jumps those numbers up to an amazing 437hp and 583 lb-ft of torque. They can tow of to 12,000 pounds!!!!! I was going too order a 2022 Tahoe with the 3.0 diesel too replace our current 2021 Tahoe with the 5.3 that we Lemon lawed but they put the 3.0 diesel on hold until the end of the year. We are also replacing our 2013 Honda Pilot with a diesel Suburban or Yukon XL next summer. After having seen the numbers on these engines from Toyota it looks like my wife and I will be getting his and hers Toyota Sequoias View attachment 351339 LOL. Their engines have diesel torque numbers along with great MPG capability and 0-60 numbers that should be sub 6 seconds with the I-Force max engine. I'll be interested too see if GM is going too counter with a Turbo V6 and or hybrid option soon. Lets face it a 5.3 v8 and 6.2 v8 with a DFM system is way behind the times now. An all electric large SUV won't work for our family because we take long trips and tow stuff. Come on GM get with the times!!!!!!!! https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/tundra/
You have a lot to learn about life cycles (auto manufacturing wise). Despite all the hype from the America hating reviewers, Hondas and Toyotas aren't all that.

I've owned GMs first V6 turbo engines, carbureted and fuel-injected models and loved them but would never put such a combination in a truck as durability will suffer. Just look at the youtube videos on those twin turbo F-150s. No thanks.

The old Sequoia had a pathetic payload capacity and a chassis/driveline more akin to a 2500 than a 1500 and even then was still not impressive. One has to peel back the layers to reveal reality with these things.

GM spent heavily on these clean sheet trucks and will likely introduce new or uprated engines in a year or so. Or, if their CEO gets her way, she will make them all battery powered.

Reaction score
Doesn't the current 6.2l make 420hp@5600rpm and 460tq@4100rpm?

I recently saw an episode of Top Gear America where they compared the top 3 selling trucks. Chevy, Ram, and Ford, and they preferred the Chevy and Ram with the big V8s over the Ford with the turbo V6.

Maybe GM should make a turbo or supercharged 6.2l as an available option!!

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I heard of that new Tundra. Crazy numbers there. There has been talks of auto makers doing away with the bigger engines for some time now and clearly we are getting a lot closer to that date. Main reason I got my 5.3 as it may very well be my last V8. I am open minded I would very much like to personally check out that new Toyota engine and compare that like others have said with a diesel and or even electric being that is more and more the direction everyone seems to be going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins

Latest posts