GM 14 bolt rear-end, worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T-Bagg

The Esca-Hoe driver.
Reaction score
Whats the advantages of having a 14bolt and what gears do they need to have im a noob when it comes to axels or suspension.

The GM 14 Bolt Full-Float is basically the biggest baddest rear end that GM made followed closely by the 14 Bolt semi-float.

here's another question to follow up : is there a significant weight different between the stock 10 bolt and the 14 bolt SF? i still plan to do it, but i figured i'd ask.

Yes there is. The full-float I'm converting weighs probably a **** hair under 500 pounds. I'm sure a SF will be a bit lighter but still much heavier than our little 10 bolts.

The H2 14 bolt wouldn't really be an option sense its an 8-lug axle not 6 lug.

Gear Tech HD makes a conversion kit for this. Including disc brake conversion.

Last edited:

nimrodcs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. You found that at a good price. Let us know how the install goes. 14 Bolt SF's aren't too common around here and if you do find one its either more expensive than it should be or in really bad shape. I've been trying to find a good deal for a while now. Anyways, good stuff man!

The guy wanted $400. But I talked him down a bit. I didn't even think I would find one, because they are few and far between here also. Luck, I guess.

I'll try and post some pics and info while I'm getting it all together. Waiting for my U joint conversion right now. While its in the mail, I think I'll start cleaning and preping the axle.

Hang in there man, you'll find one. It'll be worth the wait. :)

OP
OP
grimm

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guy wanted $400. But I talked him down a bit. I didn't even think I would find one, because they are few and far between here also. Luck, I guess.

I'll try and post some pics and info while I'm getting it all together. Waiting for my U joint conversion right now. While its in the mail, I think I'll start cleaning and preping the axle.

Hang in there man, you'll find one. It'll be worth the wait. :)

Haha, yeah. I guess I just have to be patient. Even $400 is a hell of a deal compared to the average price I see around here ($800). I found one for about $300, but it was so far away and couldn't possibly have had the time to go get it. Oh well, I'll keep my eyes open. Post some pics when you have your axle installed :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjbaker84

Latest posts