GM 14 bolt rear-end, worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josetizapan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats the advantages of having a 14bolt and what gears do they need to have im a noob when it comes to axels or suspension.

OP
OP
grimm

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, this about sums it up right here.

Also, if you plan on lifting and wheeling your truck, it's better to go with the 14 bolt because it is a lot stronger and will hold up to more abuse than the stock 10 bolt due to a higher spline count and a larger ring gear. Overall, it is a good investment.

It depends on your application I suppose. If you don't plan to lift or wheel your rig, and if you don't abuse the stock 10 bolt, you may not want to go the extra mile and upgrade to the 14 bolt. I guess it's pretty subjective. And if I'm not mistaken, stock gears are 3.73.

OP
OP
grimm

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's another question to follow up : is there a significant weight different between the stock 10 bolt and the 14 bolt SF? i still plan to do it, but i figured i'd ask.

Bad bow tie

Grizz Straight FTMFW
Reaction score
Well, this about sums it up right here.

It depends on your application I suppose. If you don't plan to lift or wheel your rig, and if you don't abuse the stock 10 bolt, you may not want to go the extra mile and upgrade to the 14 bolt. I guess it's pretty subjective. And if I'm not mistaken, stock gears are 3.73.

If you don't abuse it, then yes a 10 bolt will work fine. But I think the 14 bolt is like an insurrance policy for a lifted truck with big tires. And I believe the 14 bolt came with gears 3.42, 3.73, and 4.10.

I don't know any exact numbers, but I would think it would be quite a bit heavier than the 10 bolt, because phsically it is a bigger axle.

99COOP

Retired
Reaction score
here's another question to follow up : is there a significant weight different between the stock 10 bolt and the 14 bolt SF? i still plan to do it, but i figured i'd ask.

14 bolt SF is about 400-425 lbs. It's a pain to move, but by the time you strip the drums, shafts, carrier, etc. it becomes a lot easier to move/work on. A full floater weighs about 500 lbs. I used a forklift to pull mine into the shop basement.

newmarketeod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The H2 14 bolt wouldn't really be an option sense its an 8-lug axle not 6 lug.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ericbath