Shock bolt size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dojrs

Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know what size the rear shock bolts are on top ?

The best I can tell is M14 x 2.00 x unknown length. I know I can guess it but I'd really like to keep it somewhat uniform as I'm only missing one nut and bolt.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to GMPartsDirect.com, enter your VIN, and go to the suspension section. They have exploded parts view, and you can identify the bolt and nut. They may even have the specs on the bolt and nut. I would assume that the bolt is Grade 8 or higher.

If that does not work out, you could take the top bolt on the other shock and take it to Home Depot to get it sized it their thread sizing device.

OP
OP
D

dojrs

Reaction score
Go to GMPartsDirect.com, enter your VIN, and go to the suspension section. They have exploded parts view, and you can identify the bolt and nut. They may even have the specs on the bolt and nut. I would assume that the bolt is Grade 8 or higher.

If that does not work out, you could take the top bolt on the other shock and take it to Home Depot to get it sized it their thread sizing device.

I got extremely lucky, I took the bottom shock bolt out yesterday and when I reached up to put the top bolt I purchased locally through the mounting hole I felt something laying in the gap between the mounting tab and the frame, pulled it out and BAM my factory shock bolt was there. even had an original nut from as a spare is some of my spare nuts and bolts I keep that my GF probably wishes I would throw out. but I did tell her "see this is why I never throw good nuts and bolts away". she as none to thrilled to hear those words lmao.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got extremely lucky, I took the bottom shock bolt out yesterday and when I reached up to put the top bolt I purchased locally through the mounting hole I felt something laying in the gap between the mounting tab and the frame, pulled it out and BAM my factory shock bolt was there. even had an original nut from as a spare is some of my spare nuts and bolts I keep that my GF probably wishes I would throw out. but I did tell her "see this is why I never throw good nuts and bolts away". she as none to thrilled to hear those words lmao.
There is a wire and connector on the top of the frame close to the top shock bolt on many of these trucks. A number of us have accidently disconnected that connector while fiddling around with the top bolt and nut of the shock. If you have the same wire and connector on your truck, be sure that that connector is connected before you lower the truck to the ground at the end of your shock job.

OP
OP
D

dojrs

Reaction score
There is a wire and connector on the top of the frame close to the top shock bolt on many of these trucks. A number of us have accidently disconnected that connector while fiddling around with the top bolt and nut of the shock. If you have the same wire and connector on your truck, be sure that that connector is connected before you lower the truck to the ground at the end of your shock job.

Any idea what the wire/connector goes to ?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Probably not an electronic shock on an NBS, but it might depend on the suspension.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Post up what the bolt size and thread pitch was, so someone reading this in the future will have an answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobsaget