Getting Ready to Tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blown240

Reaction score
My wife and I are looking at buying a travel trailer... it’s about 3500 lbs empy.

My 04 Yukon XL has about 155k miles. The trans was replaced at 135k and has a hardened shell, and upgraded shift packs. The rear end was changed at about 145k to a brand new Eaton True Track.

I plan on having a mechanic check the suspension, steering, and brakes, but is there anything else I should have gone thru before I start towing?

Cbncanada

Reaction score
Make sure your cooling system is working correctly. Towing adds more stress to the cooling system.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you have good shocks both front and back, front end steering components check out, and your brakes are good. While I have not towed with my new brake setup just yet, I know my NNBS front brake swap will come in handy.
If your truck is not already equipped, or has the small factory transmission oil cooler, consider upgrading it. You don’t want heat to kill your somewhat freshly rebuilt transmission. I pulled the stock cooler and replaced with a trucool 40k max unit and the difference in transmissions temps is definitely worth the price! It rarely goes above about 160, occasionally during getting the boat in and out of where we park it. But the minute I get moving and get airflow it cools right back down and the cooler keeps the temps lower.
Secondary note, if your truck is not equipped with the Z55 air suspension option I would look into the airlift 1000 series helper bags. My Denali is equipped with Z55 auto leveling air suspension. And I still added the airlift bags to my rear coil springs. So much better for towing. Much more stability and I love having the truck always level.
If your trailer has trailer brakes make sure you have a controller ready to go.
Here’s a pic of the 4300lb sea ray I haul around for a close family friend, last fall when she was shrink wrapped and about ready to head down off the mountain where we live, into Orange County California for her winter storage.

1CB5D9A3-7547-44CB-8CE8-9B04503AFA25.jpeg B0306F73-3E06-4A6F-B117-71EE3D9FBB77.jpeg 82E148E7-B8F9-4190-A693-D41E0E6EC9B8.jpeg 84E3CFFE-B1DC-4C1F-AE1D-CB0E5A596A56.jpeg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife and I are looking at buying a travel trailer... it’s about 3500 lbs empy.

My 04 Yukon XL has about 155k miles. The trans was replaced at 135k and has a hardened shell, and upgraded shift packs. The rear end was changed at about 145k to a brand new Eaton True Track.

I plan on having a mechanic check the suspension, steering, and brakes, but is there anything else I should have gone thru before I start towing?

Make sure the tires are up to the task and properly inflated. Same goes with the new trailer, even new things might be broken or not set up correctly. You've already covered or are going to most everything else I could think of.

OP
OP
blown240

blown240

Reaction score
If your truck is not already equipped, or has the small factory transmission oil cooler, consider upgrading it.

Secondary note, if your truck is not equipped with the Z55 air suspension option I would look into the airlift 1000 series helper bags. My Denali is equipped with Z55 auto leveling air suspension. And I still added the airlift bags to my rear coil springs. So much better for towing. Much more stability and I love having the truck always level.

If your trailer has trailer brakes make sure you have a controller ready to go.

thanks for all the replies guys!

I am about ready for brakes, so I’ll check out the NNBS upgrade. For a trans cooler, I know there is one, but will have to see which one it is. The truck came with the tow package including the big alternator, so it may already have the bigger cooler.

I don’t have air suspension, but there is some kind of leveling system. I once put a full pallet of tile in the back, and as soon as I drove a bit the truck leveled itself.

The trailer does have brakes, and a controller will be installed...

OP
OP
blown240

blown240

Reaction score
Make sure the tires are up to the task and properly inflated. Same goes with the new trailer, even new things might be broken or not set up correctly. You've already covered or are going to most everything else I could think of.

yup! New tires are on the list!

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My chaparral weights in just a tad under 4k full of fuel and it has made the trip to Shasta many times and the Denali pulled it perfectly with the factory air ride. After the system took a dump I replaced the rear springs with air bags and ran a onboard air compressor. I rode better than the oem system. I also had Rancho adjustable shocks on the rear.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the replies guys!

I am about ready for brakes, so I’ll check out the NNBS upgrade. For a trans cooler, I know there is one, but will have to see which one it is. The truck came with the tow package including the big alternator, so it may already have the bigger cooler.

I don’t have air suspension, but there is some kind of leveling system. I once put a full pallet of tile in the back, and as soon as I drove a bit the truck leveled itself.

The trailer does have brakes, and a controller will be installed...
If your truck has the HD tow package it will have a trans oil cooler located in between the front grille and ac compressor. However all the 1500 package trucks have the same unit and it’s not very big. Maybe 8 inches across by 6 inches in height. Do yourself a favor and get the trucool unit. It’s just so much better.

OP
OP
blown240

blown240

Reaction score
I talked to a mechanic buddy of mine today. He usually does big Diesel stuff, but said he will do the front end work on my truck for me. He is going to do upper and lower control arms, inner and outer tie rods, and shocks for $800 total. Seems like a good deal.

I may have him do a full pump too, I dont think its ever been done...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401