Get a catch can before any mods.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
Got me wondering if I should replace my valve cover as well. Seems easy enough after watching a few YouTube videos. I go through about 2 qts every 5k. Don't get alot in the catchcan surprisingly

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got me wondering if I should replace my valve cover as well. Seems easy enough after watching a few YouTube videos. I go through about 2 qts every 5k. Don't get alot in the catchcan surprisingly

The valve cover is the PCV part of the system. The catch can is inline in the PCV system in the hose that runs from the valve cover outlet to the inlet on the intake manifold. If your catch can is only catching X amount (ounces) but you're losing 2 quarts every 5K, then either the catch can isn't catching very much and a lot of oil is passing right through it and getting burned or you're leaking it externally or your rings and/or cylinders are worn so much that the oil mist in the crankcase is burning that way.

Refresh my memory- what catch can do you have?

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
True.

@CHOO CHOO, does it smoke on startup after sitting over night? Bluish smoke, not white steam from normal condensation burning off.
Nope, no smoke at all.

Remember the whole dipstick chat? I was adding a qt around 4k, when the oil low light came on. When I would drain it and put it back in the empty 5qt jug, it would fill about 3.5-4 qts. So I know it's going somewhere.

I do almost all city driving. Stop and go all the time. Catchcan is always looking like chocolate milk and not oil.

Catchcan is from catchcans.com

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Nope, no smoke at all.

Remember the whole dipstick chat? I was adding a qt around 4k, when the oil low light came on. When I would drain it and put it back in the empty 5qt jug, it would fill about 3.5-4 qts. So I know it's going somewhere.

I do almost all city driving. Stop and go all the time. Catchcan is always looking like chocolate milk and not oil.

Do the valve cover for sure.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, no smoke at all.

If you ever get a chance and feel up to it, check the hose going to your intake from the catch can to see if it's full of oil.

The updated valve cover certainly could only help, but I'm more concerned with where those 2 quarts of oil are going if not in your catch can.

Did you add the stainless scrubber pad to it?

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
If you ever get a chance and feel up to it, check the hose going to your intake from the catch can to see if it's full of oil.

The updated valve cover certainly could only help, but I'm more concerned with where those 2 quarts of oil are going if not in your catch can.

Did you add the stainless scrubber pad to it?
I did not, I'll pick one up and put it in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC