Get a catch can before any mods.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@89Suburban the valve cover cut the oil consumption on my engine in half almost. The issue is that the OG valve covers have the inlet for the PCV right above one of the rockers. So when it goes into V4 mode the lifters shoot oil up the pushrod and it squirts into the PCV inlet, and gets sucked into the intake. The updated valve cover moves the inlet to the rear so it won't suck in the oil. My engine had 221,000 miles on it.

What if the V4 mode is bypassed with a Range Technology device?

How do you have it plumbed? Input of catch can runs to where, valve cover or top of intake?

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

It is plumbed correctly. Inlet to PCV on VC and outlet to intake manifold.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes apparently it is working very well. I baby this rig as much as possible.

I appreciate the info. That is some good results. Are you high mileage like mine?

I am scared of scary info, I must find the time to read it though and be educated. What are your thoughts why this filled so fast?

Ok I need to find the time to read up on these and digest it, much appreciated.

On a positive note here is the new hose routing pic:

View attachment 229369

And I did a swab test of the dipstick on a rag to see what kind of residue it left behind:

View attachment 229370
Hose reroute looks good, man

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score

It is plumbed correctly. Inlet to PCV on VC and outlet to intake manifold.
I suppose it could still shoot some up there though it should be quite a bit less than that. That seems like quite a bit. Newer valve cover also adds a baffle to reduce vapors. Keep an eye on it for sure.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My engine, L92, didn't come from the factory with AFM V4, so that has nothing to do with oil consumption in my case.

I think the cause for oil consumption is the poor design of the original valve cover pvc system. It allow the engine to suck a lot of oil into the induction system, eventually causing the rings to stick, which causes even more oil consumption.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent