GeorgeB’s 2002 Envoy “Belle”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Mods: if you wish to merge some of these threads please do.

Thought I would put some of my threads on our Envoy XL here.

We picked this up in 2011 for $4200.00 with 135k on it. It has served us well with only regular maintenance, repairs and tires. Had some flakey transfer case issues that I resolved with a used TCCM from a 2004 and a new shift motor. A new Cat Converter and some coils.

She now has 261k and is in need if struts again so we are fixing it up.

Threads:

OP
OP
George B

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Couple hundred going into the Envoy. We were originally planning to replace it but Heidi would rather continue to run it a few years and replace the boat. That said I had neglected it and now need to replace some suspension parts. Years ago I put a set of Moog or Monroe ready struts on and scrapped the originals with the springs only to notice later that the front was sitting 2-3" lower than stock. I decided to run it as is until it needed service again. That time has come and I don't trust I can get struts that ride at the right height as ready struts. I can get assembled AC Delco struts at about $200.00 each but don't trust those are going to be right either. I suspect those are rebranded too.

So, I am getting a pair of salvage yard struts with springs and swapping the springs onto new struts. With the spring compressor the whole deal should cost me $235.00 to put together. Then rear shocks and sway bar bushings go on. It might need ball joints and a tie rod too.

I am not excited to work on it...

@George B - Having recently gone thru this on my Envoy, and my Saab.. you are doing right by keeping the stock type springs, but do yourself a favor, and find Bilstein Struts. The ride is night and day different!

I didnt on my Envoy, and it has rode like poo ever since!

I hear ya but I am going with a budget option. What I put on will be worlds better than the blown out stuff she has on this 260K truck. On a truck with more life left in it I would go with better but this one rarely leaves town.

Did you separate the taper at thr bottom of the strut yolk or did you just slip the strut up out of the topnof the yolk. I seem to remember just slipping the strut up out if the yolk and leaving the taper. I don’t remember being able to get that joint apart.

I took the lower strut arm nut off the bottom control arm, and the 2 nuts at the top.

Hammer off the bottom arm from the control arm. The strut will slide out.

Take the bolt/nut off at the split from strut to arm, and hopefully the arm just pulls off. If not, you will have to spread it, and it will eventually pull off.

Reverse process back on. No alignment needed.

I might try that again but I believe I did slip the strut out if that arm without removing the arm from the truck. I don’t think I could get it apart. Going from these sagged struts to full ride hight again will require and alignment. I know when I put these crappy ones on she chewed up the front tires pretty quick.

Maybe because of the lowered springs? But otherwise, its not possible that I was able to do. The strut is at full extension, with no play, when jacked up. No way to slide it up the 2 inches to slide it out of the strut extension arm.

Wonder if you put on Trailblazer SS struts? I seem to remember they are shorter...

Pretty sure this is how I did it.

Either way I will get them swapped. I might just need to be more aggressive with that lower taper joint.

OP
OP
George B

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Pulled apart the used struts to get the springs off. The compressor works ok. Thinking I will need some new upper mounts too. The ones from the junkyard struts are junk and I don’t want to try to save the ones from the struts that are on the truck. I will just assemble them complete and then swap them over on the truck.
9AA05990-6C43-4D3E-8018-F070C751D465.jpegC4FFCA05-5B0C-4C5E-9139-4965DBF59E4E.jpeg

OP
OP
George B

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Now that I am this far down the path of a spring change I notice the Moog 81114 springs on amazon for $90 a pair. I have the used struts all pulled apart and the springs ready to go onto new strut bodies. And, I don’t believe it’s worth a return to the salvage yard even if I reassembled them.

I am usually pretty good at searching for stuff on the web but I missed on this one.

I did note the springs I got have nine coils and the ones currently on the truck have eight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
George B

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I dunno. I know we aren’t planning to keep this truck for too many more years but I sure would hate to put another saggy pair of springs on this thing. Heidi would be upset with my cheap ars. I am considering trying a return of the salvage yard springs and ordering the Moog ones. I went out in my jammies and reassembled the struts. Took me 20 minutes including cleanup. I will call the salvage yard when they open.

Or, maybe I am overthinking this…

69AA7BD2-C52F-43B1-ACF1-6993E31CF078.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972