General question on custom tunes from BB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stonefort

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a purchase of the Autocal V3 with custom tune from BB, is the tune file locked from me going into EFI live and changing parameters on my custom BB tune? I know, why would I do this when you guys offer free updates. Just something I wanted to know beforehand, in case I wanted to personally edit the tune for my vehicle. Are all the parameters available for me to edit in the custom tune?

Thanks! Sorry for the off the wall question.

Rm

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually most parameters are locked. Some will leave small stuff available, like idle rpm, shift points, etc.
If wanting to change your own stuff, you should probably look into hp tuners.
But curious to know the answer as well. (For future reference)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a custom tuner usually does lock the file, otherwise anyone could steal the info...

from what i have searched recently, Diablo allow the most changes for a generic handheld tuner. a sophisticated approach could be to data log all parameters and create a base line from that...but time consuming to do

OP
OP
Stonefort

Stonefort

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would a tuner lock a custom tune? I can understand locking a canned tune....but a custom tune is a data logged tune....the parameters are not going to work very well on anyone else's vehicle even if they are exactly the same.....hence the considerable time spent data logging and adjusting.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your thinking is too narrow...your tune will work rather well on any like vehicle at your altitude...
any similarly equipped vehicle will act rather well...

a generic canned tune is a far less refined and works on an even broader spectrum...

give it a thought... if you BB, PPEI (national duramax record holder), Banks ect...would you want everyone to see your secret recipe ?? i think not.

this is also the reason to vin lock is sales...if SC, Diablo, ect gave you an open envite...you would be flashing your buddies vehicle for a 6 pack and they would out...or your tunes would be several thousands of dollars

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as above stated unless your running a fully built engine a custom tune for your typical bolt on upgrades will work well with any similar setup. it will work the best with your particular setup but it will still work well with other similar setups too. kfc secret recipe cola secret recipe and patents. all in the same ball park if you have something worth marketing keep it to yourself as much as possible. if your after more open tuning options you can buy an hptuner setup. heard people regularly share tunes with those.

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a purchase of the Autocal V3 with custom tune from BB, is the tune file locked from me going into EFI live and changing parameters on my custom BB tune? I know, why would I do this when you guys offer free updates. Just something I wanted to know beforehand, in case I wanted to personally edit the tune for my vehicle. Are all the parameters available for me to edit in the custom tune?

Thanks! Sorry for the off the wall question.

Rm
The best way I can answer that is Justin sets it up where you can make changes to the tune if you want, it is not locked in that regard, we also do not lock the controllers.

We do update the tunes for free as long as you own the vehicle BUT depending on what changes you made to the tune that can effect the update service at that time.

Also just to make sure you know, you are not able to do any tuning with the AutoCal V3, you would need the V2 Scan and tune hardware to make changes and do your own tuning.

OP
OP
Stonefort

Stonefort

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best way I can answer that is Justin sets it up where you can make changes to the tune if you want, it is not locked in that regard, we also do not lock the controllers.

We do update the tunes for free as long as you own the vehicle BUT depending on what changes you made to the tune that can effect the update service at that time.

Also just to make sure you know, you are not able to do any tuning with the AutoCal V3, you would need the V2 Scan and tune hardware to make changes and do your own tuning.

Thank you very much for that info. Also good info on the v2 vs the v3 for tuning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts