Garage door opener

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
all you would have to do is determine which wire provides power to the homelink, cut it, then patch in the wire that powers the passenger air bag light instead. that is how I hooked up my radar detector. no power unless key is on. The only caveat that I see is if the homelink does not have built in memory and reset's if power is lost.
Wouldn't it need to be re-programmed then after changing out a dead battery? I've never had to re-program the on in my 2001 and I think I've changed the battery on that about 3 times over the last 14-15 years I've had it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

imkwuzn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Every garage door opener I've had has an inside-the-garage switch, with a "lock" button. Every night when I lock the door between the house and the garage, I push that button. NO OPENERS or remote keypads outside the garage will open the door until that "lock" button is pushed again. Problem solved.

The newer openers have this feature, the older one’s do not. My 20yo Genie didn’t have it. My parents Liftmaster of similar age also doesn’t have it.

That is why I upgraded to the MyQ. It has a vacation lock and the WiFi feature built in.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it need to be re-programmed then after changing out a dead battery? I've never had to re-program the on in my 2001 and I think I've changed the battery on that about 3 times over the last 14-15 years I've had it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I have never programmed mine for the garage door so I was just speculating if it needed constant power for memory or not.

imkwuzn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have never programmed mine for the garage door so I was just speculating if it needed constant power for memory or not.

It should retain the settings without power. All of mine do. Even when replacing the battery or with a battery disconnect in place.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My garage for opener that is mounted inside my garage has the ability to lock the opener, meaning no remotes can function while it is locked. Problem solved!

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I put my garage door motor on a smart plug. I programmed it to be off overnight so the homelink can’t open it. During the day it functions as normal.

I did the same thing several weeks ago when I added the xmas lights on the smart plugs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts