Fuel Sender Unit Ohms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Colorado Yeti

Reaction score
Just spent almost $1000 to have the fuel sender unit replaced by some shady shop in my 2-door Tahoe and they did not fix the problem. Guage reads 1/2 full all the time. Does anyone know what the ohms range should be so I can bench test my old sending unit? Some of the older chevy trucks were 0 ohms empty and 30 ohms full. What is the factory specs for a 1999 Chevy Tahoe with a 5.7 Vortec V-8? I'm going to go back to the shop tomorrow to get a refund and I want some serious data to prove to them they fuxed up. . Thanks.

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 0 to 30 Ohms is for very old vehicles, I think it may be in the range of 40 to 250 ohms for the late models trucks,

oldchev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Late reading this. Would this help?

Attachments

• GMC Fuel level specs.jpg
    GMC Fuel level specs.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 5

oldchev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's some more info. Not sure if same on '99 model but this info is out of my 2004 shop manual.
This tells you what wire and where to find it to check. Let us know what you did or found out.

Attachments

• C152 chassis to Eng harness conn.jpg
    C152 chassis to Eng harness conn.jpg
    645.6 KB · Views: 4
  • C-152 location.jpg
    C-152 location.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 4
  • GMC Fuel 8-561.jpeg
    GMC Fuel 8-561.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 4

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just spent almost $1000 to have the fuel sender unit replaced by some shady shop in my 2-door Tahoe and they did not fix the problem. Guage reads 1/2 full all the time. Does anyone know what the ohms range should be so I can bench test my old sending unit? Some of the older chevy trucks were 0 ohms empty and 30 ohms full. What is the factory specs for a 1999 Chevy Tahoe with a 5.7 Vortec V-8? I'm going to go back to the shop tomorrow to get a refund and I want some serious data to prove to them they fuxed up. . Thanks.
most likely it's the cluster gauge it self that is broken(stepper motor i suggest having it professionally replaced)