fuel pump fuse?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like my fp died today. no pressure at the rail. i was looking for a fuse to check, but only see the relay that i swapped with another one in the box. still no f/p. wondering if theres a fuse im missing before buying a new pump. ******&#(@!N 125 dollar tow bill for a 2 mile tow too. winning.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks like my fp died today. no pressure at the rail. i was looking for a fuse to check, but only see the relay that i swapped with another one in the box. still no f/p. wondering if theres a fuse im missing before buying a new pump. ******&#(@!N 125 dollar tow bill for a 2 mile tow too. winning.
there is (i think) look in the owners manual

OP
OP
Scottydoggs

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is (i think) look in the owners manual
found one. marked prime, its good. i just beat on the bottom of the tank and it tried to fire up, gave me a short 1 second fire up. enough to tell the starter to disengage.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
found one. marked prime, its good. i just beat on the bottom of the tank and it tried to fire up, gave me a short 1 second fire up. enough to tell the starter to disengage.
no security light on?
turn key to run, security light should illuminate briefly and go out, if it stays lit or flashes continuously that is a problem

OP
OP
Scottydoggs

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope. no pressure at the rail with the key to run, died when driving it. pulled out of a parking lot turned right, and it started to run out of gas, made it 50 feet.

had to get one local. amazon wont be delivered till friday. got a lock ring too. i figure mine will be rotted away.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have a helper start it while you continue to bang on the fuel tank, see if it will run while you're beating it. I was fortunate enough when mine went -- I was alone at a campground in Laramie, WY -- that I was able to bang on the tank a few times, then jump in the truck and it started and ran. Never shut it off until I got home to Denver that day.

EDIT: I'm late to the party...as usual.

OP
OP
Scottydoggs

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a helper start it while you continue to bang on the fuel tank, see if it will run while you're beating it. I was fortunate enough when mine went -- I was alone at a campground in Laramie, WY -- that I was able to bang on the tank a few times, then jump in the truck and it started and ran. Never shut it off until I got home to Denver that day.

EDIT: I'm late to the party...as usual.
i was a lone. tow truck had to come. $125 later for a 2 mile tow. oh joy.

OP
OP
Scottydoggs

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lets hope the strap bolts come out lol just got back from picking up the pump and new lock ring. almost 4 beans. this truck just cost me some cheddar.

OP
OP
Scottydoggs

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update, so i go out all ready to do this job and its a bit windy and cold and im dreading life lol so i bang on the tank bottom again and it sounds hollow, so im like f it. lets dump a couple gallons in and see. maybe the gauge is not working right.....so i get 6 bucks worth in a can, less then 2 gallons. my can sucks its leaking all over the place. so plan B: ive got three sheets of paper and some tape, diy funnel made, works perfect. turn key to run for a few seconds, then off and back to run to prime it, ( if it will prime) turn to crank and it just fires up like old times. drove it to the gas station put 30 bucks in it aka 10 gallons. hit the tank bottom again it sounds the same lol thinking its got a double wall? at any rate. the gauge was 2-3 lines over E. as it was being filled it didnt start to move till 5 gallons went in by 10 it just moved one line past a 1/4 tank.

so im pretty sure the gauge is bad and E is now 3 lines over the E line. just waiting for a warmer day and a spot in my friends drive way to get this pump swapped out. im not a fan of limited tools in a supermarket parking lot.

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fun times, mine went out last year right before New Year’s Eve...$600 something bill for pump lock ring fuel line repair kit & labor, being in NY the fuel line crumbled when removing tank. Thought I somehow hydrolocked the engine but was the pump. Happened bashing thru some ice and snow offroading. Happy I had someone to come tow me out and home for free.