Fuel Pressure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HK-DEMON-

Reaction score
Does anybody know the exact fuel pressure for a 2001 Chevrolet Tahoe with a 5.3L, LS,?

I got some info out of the Haynes automobile manual but im not really sure if its the correct info. It states in the manual that the fuel pressure should be 55-62psi while the key is ON and should drop about 8psi while the engine is running. My gauge reads 22psi while the key is ON (i tried the on and off method to raise up the pressure out of the fuel pump but didnt work) and drops down to 10psi while the engine is running.

Im having an issue with throttle response while im driving, and also during idle.I replaced the fuel filter and air filter. I cleaned out the Mass air flow sensor and throttle body with a "special" spray.

Any one have any clue to my problem?

thanks

Mr45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your fuel pump is crapping out.

Mine did the same, low pressure on prime, sometimes no prime at all.

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you kept up with changing your fuel filter? A seriously clogged filter could cause so issues with pressure.

If so, sounds like your pump may be on it's way out.

Cameron

OP
OP
HK-DEMON-

HK-DEMON-

Reaction score
Have you kept up with changing your fuel filter? A seriously clogged filter could cause so issues with pressure.

If so, sounds like your pump may be on it's way out.

Cameron

you might be correct on that, the last time the fuel filter was changed was last world war:(. I took the fuel filter out and it was all clogged up. My thinking was the fuel pump was working overtime and it burned it out.

I also just got an error code DTC GM p1133 = Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Insufficient Switching Bank 1 Sensor 1

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try the filter first and hope its that. Just had to replace my pump, and it also threw a bunch of codes. hope you get this resolved

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's likely you were running super lean & could have burned an o2 out as well.

Cameron

OP
OP
HK-DEMON-

HK-DEMON-

Reaction score
Try the filter first and hope its that. Just had to replace my pump, and it also threw a bunch of codes. hope you get this resolved

tried the filter, didnt work, but thanks. Did your vehicle act like it was flooding? what codes did it throw at cha?

It's likely you were running super lean & could have burned an o2 out as well.

Cameron

probably. Im going to start by replacing the fuel pump.

Last edited:

Darkitec

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but I have a new question. I have an 03 with the z code engine. Fuel pressure should be between 45 and 54 I replaced the pump once a little less than 2 years ago, and it would appear that it had been replaced at least once before I owned it. Now it's down to 42psi and I'm getting a lean engine code for both banks. I don't have any interest in doing this change ever again, I'm wondering, the pump for the t code engine is spec'd between 55-60 psi and I'm wondering could I install this pump and hope for a longer period before the pump goes bad again? Is the fuel pressure regulator built tough enough to take the additional initial pressure?

Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is probably the same pump, so yes it will be fine. If you keep burning up pumps I would make sure you change the fuel filter (believe yours has it inline), and inspect the wiring. Even better would be to upgrade the wiring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts