Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2007 Tahoe 5.3L Flex Fuel - some hesitation when accelerating. Periodically throws p0300 - indicates lifter replacement as fix.

There isn’t a loud tick typically associated with collapsed lifters. Talking with a GM master tech, suggested testing fuel pressure before performing lifter DOD AFM delete.

Testing fuel pressure - 59-60 PSI while running - when relief valve is open drops below 30 and doesn’t recover.

Testing with key on engine off - 59-60 PSI. After 25 minutes pressure drops to 35 PSI and continues to drop.

My question is - what is an acceptable loss of pressure over time? Would this be an indication of a bad fuel pump?

Any ideas or advice is great!
Pictures showing PSI before and after relief valve is open - engine is running.
2007s do not have a Fuel Pump Control Module. The pump is controlled by the ECM and a relay like in the previous generation and pressure cannot be seen with a scan tool.

Key on (might have to do this several times to get highest pressure), pressure is to be between 50-60 psi and not drop more than 5 psi after one minute.

Here is a description of how the 2007s pump works:

1695844254947.png

OP
OP
FAUST

FAUST

Reaction score
2007s do not have a Fuel Pump Control Module. The pump is controlled by the ECM and a relay like in the previous generation and pressure cannot be seen with a scan tool.

Key on (might have to do this several times to get highest pressure), pressure is to be between 50-60 psi and not drop more than 5 psi after one minute.

View attachment 409908
Thank you! I listed a test outcome earlier - PSI went from 59 to 35 over 25 minutes - it was a steady drop, about 1PSI PER minute.

I’ll try again and get an average of multiple tries to be sure there is a consistency of pressure bleed.

I’ll post it later today or tomorrow.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 409908
That's a good catch, James. The info I sent came from the 2012 troubleshooting guide. Thank you.

OP
OP
FAUST

FAUST

Reaction score
Yes - thank you, James.

Thank you, Dave - for the troubleshooting guide regardless. I appreciate the effort and shared experience throughout. It’s nice to know knowledge coming my way is multi-faceted - personal/professional experience and specific technical workflow guides!

Many thanks.

OP
OP
FAUST

FAUST

Reaction score
Dang! I’ll say it was worth it, given my current situation haha

Thanks again!

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
This is good info. Anyone know if the f/p in both the 07 & 08 operate the same way?

09 is when GM changed the f/p design from a three hose to a two hose version. I assume anything prior to 09 would operate and diagnose the same way.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is good info. Anyone know if the f/p in both the 07 & 08 operate the same way?

09 is when GM changed the f/p design from a three hose to a two hose version. I assume anything prior to 09 would operate and diagnose the same way.
As far as I know it was just 2007. I do not recall whether or not the 6.2s are wired up this way, the 4.3s, 4.8s and 5.3s are for 2007.

OP
OP
FAUST

FAUST

Reaction score

View attachment 409908
Psi started at 55 with key on engine off. After one minute PSI was 51 key off and 54 key on.

OP
OP
FAUST

FAUST

Reaction score
Psi started at 55 with key on engine off. After one minute PSI was 51 key off and 54 key on.
What would be the natural next step in diagnosis? I haven’t tested anything else and I wanna spend the time vs. throwing money at it.

Thanks for all the help to this point!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar