Sudden drops in fuel pressure (seen via BlueDriver scan tool) 09 Denali XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomH91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 09 Denali XL with the 6.2. Lately I’ve experienced a once-in-a-while stumble in the first few minutes of running. It usually happens with a cold engine, in the first mile of driving, upon tipping in the throttle after coasting for a distance (the road from my house is downhill). It feels like the engine wants to backfire or stall but after the stumble it runs fine.

Yesterday I datalogged all my trips. There are no misfires recorded, no pending or active trouble codes and no CEL. The stumble never happens when I leave the office and head home (level roads) as far as I recall.

I noticed on the logs that there are occasional big drops in indicated fuel pressure. Generally, pressure is around 43 psi, give or take. But I noticed readings of 16, 19, 25, 17, 13, 12, etc.

I’m skeptical these are accurate readings because they sudden and are generally bracketed by plausible data. If the fuel pump was failing, for example, there should be enough residual pressure to keep the fuel flowing without a momentary large drop in pressure. Should I look elsewhere for the problem or could I have an issue with fuel pressure?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Commanded fuel pressure is always 43.5 psi. When do you see those drops and for how long are they? I would love to know what your Long Term Fuel Pump Trim is. The pump in my 2013 is 1.04 and my 2009 is 1.54 and she doesn't stay at 43.5 psi rock solid anymore like she used to.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The drops are very brief, less than a second.
I wonder if those are related to torque management. I know TM cuts timing but not sure if it cuts fuel. I had TM tuned out years ago so it's not something I can check.

What are your Long Term Fuel Trims at idle once warmed up and while driving?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts