Fuel Grade vs Additives/Treatments

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read a few threads on later models talking about fuel grades and problems in using the cheap stuff. Not sure if that applies to mine. I just can't afford the top fuel stuff on a regular basis. It's why I paid $4K for a 25 year old unit instead of a $100K for a new one.

So i use 89 and will continue to do so unless y'all can prove to me it would be too costly not to.

There are various additives and treatments I could use a couple of times a year. Keep in mind how little I drive. I got this in March and have put less than 1,500 miles on it.

Maybe a tank or two of high test each year?

OP
OP
Mean_Green

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to keep that on hand for my Sebring that had an issue with the level sensor. Helped somewhat. Still have a couple of bottles so may take one with me on the next fill up.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 87 octane in my '96 & '99 on this platform.
I also run it in a '93 Oldsmobile.
The '99 sees about 8k miles and then sits for 4 months.
The '96 sees about 5k miles and then sits for 8 months.
The '93 sees about 5k miles per year, driven year round.
All with no additives.

I wonder if I should be considering this as well.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read a few threads on later models talking about fuel grades and problems in using the cheap stuff. Not sure if that applies to mine. I just can't afford the top fuel stuff on a regular basis. It's why I paid $4K for a 25 year old unit instead of a $100K for a new one.

So i use 89 and will continue to do so unless y'all can prove to me it would be too costly not to.

There are various additives and treatments I could use a couple of times a year. Keep in mind how little I drive. I got this in March and have put less than 1,500 miles on it.

Maybe a tank or two of high test each year?

I run 87 octane in my '96 & '99 on this platform.
I also run it in a '93 Oldsmobile.
The '99 sees about 8k miles and then sits for 4 months.
The '96 sees about 5k miles and then sits for 8 months.
The '93 sees about 5k miles per year, driven year round.
All with no additives.

I wonder if I should be considering this as well.
I have over 160K miles on my 2016 Direct Injected 5.3 Tahoe. I have NEVER never used additives in it. I run nothing but 87 octane.

I generally use Exxon-Mobil as they seem to maintain their stations to the highest level. Even in my used Cadllacs and Caprices and other vehicles from years ago [all V8] NEVER used additives. Ran 87 octane in all of them till over 200K+miles.

If the additives companies depended on me for their products they would be out of business.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have over 160K miles on my 2016 Direct Injected 5.3 Tahoe. I have NEVER never used additives in it. I run nothing but 87 octane.

I generally use Exxon-Mobil as they seem to maintain their stations to the highest level. Even in my used Cadllacs and Caprices and other vehicles from years ago [all V8] NEVER used additives. Ran 87 octane in all of them till over 200K+miles.

If the additives companies depended on me for their products they would be out of business.
Ethanol is my biggest concern in my response. And how it impacts fuel systems of vehicles that rolled out pre-ethanol, such as mine...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo