Fuel gauge sending unit.. is this normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had bad fuel sending units before but they are typically very unreliable. The one in my Tahoe is not acting crazy but at the same time it does not seem right.

I should have a 26 gallon tank in my 2002, if I fill the tank up the gauge never quite makes it to full. My dad's 03 Avalanche will go past full for a while like most vehicles do.

My Low Fuel light will come on and a fill up only takes 17 gallons. Surely the low fuel light does not come on with 6 gallons to go? Is this a sign of a failing sending unit?

jesse53

Reaction score
Float arm sticks.. If I fill mine up it shows full for awhile then drops to empty, When I think Im low, Ive tapped on the tank w/ a hammer and it corrects itself. I run on about a half tank because that and below stays accurate, for some reason.

OP
OP
Mudfrog

Mudfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had odd behavior like that though. Aside from it not actually reaching the Full mark it behaves correctly with the exception of the low fuel light coming on with almost 10 gallons still in the tank.

I am correct in thinking that the 2002 Tahoe's had a 26 gallon tank, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sylentnite