Fuel Composition Sensor (P0178) - SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my way into work this morning my check engine light came on. Finished my drive to work, she drove fine with no symptoms at all. Parked and checked the code and was surprised by the P0178 code. I cleared the code. A little research appears to be in my immediate future.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Concur, will check/read out wires but surely would not be surprised if the sensor is going bad after 20 years on the vehicle and nearly 300K (4300 miles to go) miles on her.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has mpg taken a hit? Sometimes when they fail it goes full alcohol reading so on regular it way over fuels. And timing can get too far advanced, so take it easy driving it.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has mpg taken a hit? Sometimes when they fail it goes full alcohol reading so on regular it way over fuels. And timing can get too far advanced, so take it easy driving it.
It's hard to tell about gas millage taking a hit since I still have over a half tank of gas and I did just complete the TBSS intake install and installed the upgraded BBP tune for this upgrade just days before the P0178 code. Thank you for the advice on driving it easy. No major plans in driving anywhere - just back and forth to work - about 10 miles each way.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My part should arrive today, I plan on installing it on Friday. I filled up this morning and I have taken a bit of a hit on gas mileage - nothing major. Could be the the compensator or the new intake/throttle body and the way I was driving based on this upgrade. This was before @Mudsport96 reply. Now I'm babying it.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have replacement part in hand. I really want to get this part installed - so tired of seeing that check engine light on. If I can get off work tomorrow early, I might change it tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts