Frustrated!!! ARRGGH! Horrible grinding / growling noise.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MMitchum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does it make the noise only when gas is applied - or just whenever the wheels are turning? I ask because I have an 06 Yukon Denali that makes a whirring/grinding noise from the left front wheel well but only when I apply gas - really audible around 35-45mph. I've been told to check the transfer case bearings.

BananaHANDS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be the CV joint if you have a boot torn up, but in my experience they generally make more of a popping noise. hopefully somebody would have seen a torn CV boot by now though.

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bet is on a wheel bearing. I would think that if your brakes were hanging up you would have other symptoms. Jack up the front, grab the tire at 9 and 3 and see if you have any play. I think if you have play at 12 and 6 it's ball joints, but I'm going from memory, which isn't all that good anymore!

On a side note, how hard was it to remove your front differential? I have a feeling mine is going to need a rebuild sometime soon, and I would much rather take it in and save some money like you did. Also, I think you got an awesome deal for a rebuild! So don't complain too much about it!

OP
OP
K

ksteak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My bet is on a wheel bearing. I would think that if your brakes were hanging up you would have other symptoms. Jack up the front, grab the tire at 9 and 3 and see if you have any play. I think if you have play at 12 and 6 it's ball joints, but I'm going from memory, which isn't all that good anymore!

On a side note, how hard was it to remove your front differential? I have a feeling mine is going to need a rebuild sometime soon, and I would much rather take it in and save some money like you did. Also, I think you got an awesome deal for a rebuild! So don't complain too much about it!

^WIN! It *was* the hub after all. Thing shook around like crazy. Changed the hub last night and it runs like new again! Annoyed that my mechanic misdiagnosed the issue... but more annoyed that I could have done 15 minutes of research and saved myself a bunch of money. Lesson learned -- always check the forums first!!!!! :)

The differential was actually very easy to get out. Granted, I had an air-gun and a trans-jack... those helped immensely. You just remove 6 bolts out of each side's axle shaft and use bungees to hold them up out of your way, disconnect the driveshaft (easy) and then it's 4 bolts that hold the diff on. Passenger side are super easy to get to... 1 on the driver's side is up in there a little ways, but we got it out without much trouble (we had some socket connectors that can bend... that helped). Finally, you have to remove two nuts from the steering shaft and move it forward to get clearance to get the diff out. The diff is mildly heavy, so either use a jack / transjack... or a strong friend! :) Overall, I was surprised how easy it was to get out.

Putting it in was easy too.... the hardest part was getting it aligned b/c it's heavy... but again, the trans-jack helped.

Good luck! Thanks, everyone, for your help!

My01yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have the same problem, I'm hearing not a grinding but probably what you could call a growl. It seems to be when turning right or just after turing right. Anyone know how much something like this would cost if i were to pay someone to do it?

KrautBurner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. 2003 Yukon Denali XL - 118k miles. About a year ago, I started hearing a growling/grinding noise in the front when the wheels were turning. It got progressively worse as time went by.

Is it possible for the CV axles to make noise when they start going bad?

As far a CV Shafts they could make noise when they go bad but shouldnt be bad at this young age

"young age"
the truck is almost 10 years old and has over 100K miles

I'd guess it's a CV joint.
jack it up, grab the axle shaft (one at a time)
try to move it around, see if there is any play.

It could be the CV joint if you have a boot torn up, but in my experience they generally make more of a popping noise. hopefully somebody would have seen a torn CV boot by now though.

the boot dosn't have to be torn for the joint to go bad.

Edit:
I see it wasn't the CV joint, but it seems like it would have been worth checking.

my father in law just drove my wife's tahoe, mentioned it was making some noise
will have to check mine out tonight when i get off work

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greygranny