Front end wander.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a problem with my '93 GMC C2500 RWD. The steering began to wander going down the road. I took it to a local tire shop for the front end to be checked. They told me the steering gear, idler arm and pitman arm needed replacement. They were worn and the gear was noisy to out they came and new parts went in. While I was under there, I grabbed the tie rods and they were tight. Took it out on the road and the wander was still there. No noise, but enough wander to induce the pucker factor. I stopped by a friends shop and checked the front end while the suspension was under load. Under droop, the tie rods were tight but under load, quite loose. All 4 tie rods and even the adjustment sleeves were replaced.

I went to a different front end shop for an alignment. At about 50 mph, the wander comes back. Now, the tires in back are new. I have 2 pairs of tires to put on the front. The pair I was using were swapped for another pair of used tires I bought for spares. The ones I had on the front were on it when it came out of a barn so they are at least 10 years old.

Both shops said the ball joints were good. I've had bad ball joints before and they didn't feel the same way. I've even checked the rear shackles in case one was cracked.

Anybody got any ideas? I got a newer, 4X4 truck so this one is for sale. If it needs tires, it will get them. I just don't want to throw money into a truck I'll be selling.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I have a problem with my '93 GMC C2500 RWD. The steering began to wander going down the road. I took it to a local tire shop for the front end to be checked. They told me the steering gear, idler arm and pitman arm needed replacement. They were worn and the gear was noisy to out they came and new parts went in. While I was under there, I grabbed the tie rods and they were tight. Took it out on the road and the wander was still there. No noise, but enough wander to induce the pucker factor. I stopped by a friends shop and checked the front end while the suspension was under load. Under droop, the tie rods were tight but under load, quite loose. All 4 tie rods and even the adjustment sleeves were replaced.

I went to a different front end shop for an alignment. At about 50 mph, the wander comes back. Now, the tires in back are new. I have 2 pairs of tires to put on the front. The pair I was using were swapped for another pair of used tires I bought for spares. The ones I had on the front were on it when it came out of a barn so they are at least 10 years old.

Both shops said the ball joints were good. I've had bad ball joints before and they didn't feel the same way. I've even checked the rear shackles in case one was cracked.

Anybody got any ideas? I got a newer, 4X4 truck so this one is for sale. If it needs tires, it will get them. I just don't want to throw money into a truck I'll be selling.
Upper/lower control arm bushings? They all good?

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
How much free play (rotation) at the steering wheel before the front tire moves? And is the passenger side much difference vs driver’s side tire?

Any free play in the steering column shaft?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Tie rod and ball joint play is measured in hundreds or thousandths of an inch, too fine for us to tell by yanking on them. Gotta use a dial indicator. With tires ten years old I reckon you live up north, our are rotten after about 4 years. Anyway, I would replace them if they were mine, they can cause wandering too.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Vote #3 about the bushings and vote #2 for tire problems. Because of age I would also want to be sure the rag joint is not coming apart. There are metal brackets wrapped around the rubber in the rag joint that can hide problems. I am assuming you checked the frame mount area for cracks when you installed the new/reman gear box?

Also, as has been asked, make sure you check everything on the rear suspension. Broken centering pin, for the springs, causing a slight offset of the rear axle. Tires that are on the truck---same ply ratings or different?

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because of age I would also want to be sure the rag joint is not coming apart. There are metal brackets wrapped around the rubber in the rag joint that can hide problems.
Forgive me here... RAG JOINT? Never heard of that?

EDIT: Googled it. Never heard it called that before. I have always called it a interconnect joint

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
At RA they call it a steering connector. For 35+ years I was in auto repair shops and being as old as I am, we called it a rag joint. Not the actual name for it but all techs around my age at least know what rag joint is. Rigs that old, can have them.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
At RA they call it a steering connector. For 35+ years I was in auto repair shops and being as old as I am, we called it a rag joint. Not the actual name for it but all techs around my age at least know what rag joint is. Rigs that old, can have them.
I also know this as a rag joint. The GN has one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu