Front end squeak going over speed bumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update, hopefully to save somebody time in debug.

I just installed a 1.5" leveling kit in my 2007 Yukon. When I test drove the truck, I noticed going over bumps the front end had a pronounced squeak. It was most loud when I went over speed bumps, when both front wheels went up and down at the same time. A little less loud when I cut the bumps at an angle and the wheels were going up in bounce independently.

I had not loosened the sway bar links (didn't need to with this small spacer for the level, less than an inch thick), so was puzzled at where the noise might be coming from.

I decided to do the easy stuff first and used a lanolin based spray lube (actually a case lube for reloading ammunition). I selected it mainly as I had a lot of it on hand, I could get a little pressure when spraying it into the joints of the frame and end link bushing, and I knew it wouldn't damage the rubber in these parts (not petroleum based).

When I test drove it the squeaks were gone. I know this lube effect probably won't last and I will likely have to disassemble everything so I can clean and lube everything in a proper manner, using a proper silicon grease. It will be interesting to see how long that case lube lasts. Being winter, I suspect not very long. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667