Knocking when going over bumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went outside and torqued all the body mount bolts on my Escalade to spec. Some of them were slightly loose. Then, I successfully fixed the loud banging/clattering I complained of when going over bumps in another thread.

A few months ago, the dealer replaced the rear left axle bearing and seal. What I found was that because the bearing was new, the wheel didn't sit over it properly, and therefore, even when torqued down, wasn't sitting completely up against the flange. You know, typical new flange, wheel has dirt, dirt can cause it to not sit properly. Should be gone over with a whizzy pad or something, which obviously wasn't. I figured this out by kicking the tires on all sides, and the rear left one sounded exceptionally "clangy". I tore apart both rear brakes and also found that the brake pads' metal backing was warped. Cleaned, changed them up to some spare Akebono pads I had in my garage, threw on new hardware, and this time, installed the rear left wheel properly by ensuring that it sat completely flush against the flange and was resting flat against the rotor, and torqued it very lightly until it wouldn't go anymore. I again achieved this by kicking 4 corners of the tire: top, left, right, and bottom, then torquing. Rinse and repeat. When the lug nuts wouldn't go anymore, I then dropped it back down to the ground and torqued the lug nuts to spec.

Took it for a drive over the bumpy road next to my house where I was able to 100% reproduce it, and now the sound is gone. No thanks to the stealership; I took it back to them twice about this and they gave me the runaround.

Guess I'll keep this Escalade for a few more years, and continue hunting down these rattles. Anyone got any advice for the front passenger seat clicking very loudly? Every now and then when going over a bump it makes a very loud audible "CLACK" sound. Can't figure out the source.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz