Front door rebuild frustration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roodog575

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m new here and really appreciate all the great available info. I’ve had my 99 Tahoe since 2001 and have replaced several sets of hinge pins but have never done a full rebuild of the doors until just a few weeks ago. This included new weather seals, striker bolts, door latches, speakers and of course, hinge pins. It was so nice to once again see the doors match up to the body lines.

I bought a GM latch for the drivers side and an Amazon latch for the passenger side. The strikers bolts are GM. The hinge pins were from eBay but had received great reviews. I had learned my lesson about the crappy quality of the Dorman hinge pins and bushings.

Unfortunately, after driving to a weekend camping spot which consisted about 12 miles of gravel roads, my drivers door had sagged a bit. I could feel the slop in the pins and bushings and the latch had already worn a bit of paint off the top of the striker bolt. Very frustrating. The passenger door is fine.

The drivers door still closes nicely but I can see the misalignment even though it’s not terrible. Does anyone have a recommendation for pins/bushings? Is there a high quality product out there I’m not aware of?

Thank you.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I replaced the driver's side door upper pin on my 97 Yukon (RIP) from the dealer. As I recall, it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $50, and I was outraged. But, the pin worked flawlessly right to the end of the truck's life.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m new here and really appreciate all the great available info. I’ve had my 99 Tahoe since 2001 and have replaced several sets of hinge pins but have never done a full rebuild of the doors until just a few weeks ago. This included new weather seals, striker bolts, door latches, speakers and of course, hinge pins. It was so nice to once again see the doors match up to the body lines.

I bought a GM latch for the drivers side and an Amazon latch for the passenger side. The strikers bolts are GM. The hinge pins were from eBay but had received great reviews. I had learned my lesson about the crappy quality of the Dorman hinge pins and bushings.

Unfortunately, after driving to a weekend camping spot which consisted about 12 miles of gravel roads, my drivers door had sagged a bit. I could feel the slop in the pins and bushings and the latch had already worn a bit of paint off the top of the striker bolt. Very frustrating. The passenger door is fine.

The drivers door still closes nicely but I can see the misalignment even though it’s not terrible. Does anyone have a recommendation for pins/bushings? Is there a high quality product out there I’m not aware of?

Thank you.
Welcome! Have you checked to see what LMC Truck has to offer?

OP
OP
R

Roodog575

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
333B3F81-13E2-4EA2-BFED-93D5788ED442.jpeg
Just bare bone stock other than the factory crate Vortec 5.7 that was put in after the original crapped out at 127,***. Truck has 186,*** and is way over due for a freshening up of the suspension.

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you ever get your hinge parts? My passenger door is sagging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros

Latest posts