Front Differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thauber

Reaction score
I have a question about the front diff in my Yukon. It is the "AWD" version with the BW 8842 (2-speed) transfer case. I can find nothing that separates this front diff from standard 4x4 differentials when looking for parts, or even replacements, when searching parts sites. From what I know to be different is that it has no need for the actuator that the normal 4x4 uses, but would assume it would have different internals as well being that it is never not engaged. Any help on this would be great. The previous owner of the truck had a shop replace it about 18 months and 20K miles ago, and the thing is already junk. Way too much shavings on the drain plug when I pulled it as well as the new fluid did almost nothing to reduce the noise. IT leaves me wondering, did that shop screw him out of $1800 by putting a used one on that they simply cleaned and repainted, or an incorrect one that isn't meant for the "AWD" non-Denali Yukons?

Would love to be rid of the noise, and worry of it giving out completely.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Not many people know how to rebuild these diffs, the problem with these diffs is that the adjusting locking tabs break and the adjuster nuts get loose. For this not to happen you have to center punch the threads on the adjuster nut after the lashing has been set. That is problably your case. There is a diy on this forum on how to rebuild the diff. I rebuilt mine for about 200 bucks.

OP
OP
T

Thauber

Reaction score
It definitely needs a rebuilt, but what kit? When I search for parts, all I see is for the 4x4 models, nothing about the non-Denali "AWD" versions that don't have actuators. Without an actuator, internal parts should be different, meaning the kit for normal 4x4 wouldn't be the right one for the "AWD" version. That's what I trying to understand, where can I find a correct rebuild kit, or even an already rebuilt unit (whole thing, not just center piece) that is for this version?

OP
OP
T

Thauber

Reaction score
I guess to put it simply, I'm trying to find what I need to rebuild or replace my front axle assembly. I'm not going to just rebuild the main differential (center piece), but the entire thing including the side piece (axle housing on right side) where the difference in the assemblies are. When I go to GM parts sites, they just list parts saying "all models" as if there is no difference in them. When I go to places like RockAuto, it just says "4x4" and shows the ones with the axle housings that have the hole for actuator. But when I go to the be-oh-so-careful car-part salvage site, I can select NR4 AWD w/ GT4, and all I get back are Denali parts. So... is the front differential in these non-Denali AWD Yukons the same as normal 4x4 with different axle housing, or just simply the same as the Denali ones and the websites just fail in their listings? Or a bit of each (differential of 4x4 with axle housing from Denali)? No plate on the one in mine (removed by shop that rebuilt it or put it in), but may not matter as it could be the incorrect one anyway and would lead me wrong. Just hoping someone has information on this and where I can go to get the correct parts.

Or are all of them the exact same between the 4x4, non-Denali AWD, and Denalis, and just the axle housing piece for the passenger side is different? I have had both 4x4 Tahoe and AWD Yukon prior to this one, and never had any differential problems out of either.

EDIT: Differences of course being gear ratios (GT4, GT5, etc)...

Last edited:

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Thauber

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the links. And this would also do the seals on the output shafts?

Edit: Nix that, saw where it said includes axle seals further down in the description. Thanks

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the front diff in my Yukon. It is the "AWD" version with the BW 8842 (2-speed) transfer case. I can find nothing that separates this front diff from standard 4x4 differentials when looking for parts, or even replacements, when searching parts sites. From what I know to be different is that it has no need for the actuator that the normal 4x4 uses, but would assume it would have different internals as well being that it is never not engaged. Any help on this would be great. The previous owner of the truck had a shop replace it about 18 months and 20K miles ago, and the thing is already junk. Way too much shavings on the drain plug when I pulled it as well as the new fluid did almost nothing to reduce the noise. IT leaves me wondering, did that shop screw him out of $1800 by putting a used one on that they simply cleaned and repainted, or an incorrect one that isn't meant for the "AWD" non-Denali Yukons?

Would love to be rid of the noise, and worry of it giving out completely.

The difference between AWD and 4x4 is on the right side axle tube and shaft with the actuator and fork on the 4x4. Go to DemandAAM.com and have a look; they are the OE supplier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10