Front diff fill bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97audia4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have an issue getting the fill plug out of the front diff.

I am making a long trip the up coming weekend towing a trailer and I wanted to change out the fluid. The fill bolt was so tight I snapped a breaker bar and started twisting the bolt.

Any tips from people in the same situation ?

Eod1

If you see me running, I would try to keep up.
Reaction score
Have u ever had it out before?. If not the factory over tighten it. A little heat and a little PB blaster or penetrating oil and a new brake bar with extension tube should get it out. Ounce out use just a little anti sneeze lubricant on the threads.

Eod1

Reaction score
You might need to just get a new cover, gasket and filler bolt that would be the faster way

OP
OP
97audia4

97audia4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might need to just get a new cover, gasket and filler bolt that would be the faster way

Not sure I can change the cover, this is the front diff, Ill try some kroil and heat but I damn near sheared the bolt off of it trying to loosen. Ill order a new fill plug tonight just need to get it off.

Eod1

Reaction score
Yup I forgot. It's a clam shell. Well then if you really need that fill plug out and you strip it, several ways to get it out. Won't make you happy but it will come out. If you don't want to pull it and put it on the bench and strip it. You can do it in the truck. Last ditch effort drill it in steps. Re tap it and get a new fill plug. Now the bad news. You will have to flush it a lot to make sure you get all metal chips and metal flakes from getting in to the gears and bearings

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have an issue getting the fill plug out of the front diff.

I am making a long trip the up coming weekend towing a trailer and I wanted to change out the fluid. The fill bolt was so tight I snapped a breaker bar and started twisting the bolt.

Any tips from people in the same situation ?

It's a pain Jeff, but you could siphon the oil out of the fill port on the side instead and deal with the plug after your trip. I wouldn't be drilling it out or risk cracking the case with a trip coming up. Some knucklehead probably put Loctite on the threads.

Eod1

Reaction score
It's a pain Jeff, but you could siphon the oil out of the fill port on the side instead and deal with the plug after your trip. I wouldn't be drilling it out or risk cracking the case with a trip coming up. Some knucklehead probably put Loctite on the threads.
Yes he is correct if that trip is like now his way is the fastest. If it in a week or 2 you have time to work on it. It's nothing to stress over:)

OP
OP
97audia4

97audia4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There is another spot to fill at ? Ill just siphon it out of there , didnt see any other spots.

If there is a vent tube I would get some poly line and try it that way, Im just pissed I went under there and ended up not being able to do it because it was so f'n tight. I broke out the 3/4 inch bar and it still wouldnt budge and just starter to tear the bolt head up.

Tried finding my sockets for strips bolts but didnt have time, needed to get moving on the rear diff fluid and transfer case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC