Front diff fill bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both plugs are facing the driver's side. The lower one is smaller and in the center. The fill is to your upper left and quite large. There are drawings of them in your owner's manual. For a 2009, it's on page 5-52.

I believe he is asking about another place to fill it because he is having difficulties with the FILL plug and you suggested siphoning out of it. Won’t work if he can’t remove it.

I just changed my front fluids last week and had a heck of a time with the fill plug as well, PB blaster and patience ultimately got it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe he is asking about another place to fill it because he is having difficulties with the FILL plug and you suggested siphoning out of it. Won’t work if he can’t remove it.

I just changed my front fluids last week and had a heck of a time with the fill plug as well, PB blaster and patience ultimately got it out.

You're right! My reading comprehension skills are not what they once were!

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
allways start with the fill port, if the drain comes out but not the fill you cant service it. since it is only a drain plug it limits the amount of cleaning/flushing you can do anyway. as previously stated, siphon out of the fill plug and forget about it! dont fix it til it breaks as i have been guilty of to many times to count. harbor freight siphon pump $7. oops, if i also misread your post, is it already drained? if so still use a siphon pump and drill out a old wine cork to allow the tube to pass through, install in the drain hole and put the prescribed amount of fluid in. then quickly! pull the cork and install the plug. i know it is a mess but you wont lose more than an ounce or two of fluid.

OP
OP
97audia4

97audia4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
allways start with the fill port, if the drain comes out but not the fill you cant service it. since it is only a drain plug it limits the amount of cleaning/flushing you can do anyway. as previously stated, siphon out of the fill plug and forget about it! dont fix it til it breaks as i have been guilty of to many times to count. harbor freight siphon pump $7. oops, if i also misread your post, is it already drained? if so still use a siphon pump and drill out a old wine cork to allow the tube to pass through, install in the drain hole and put the prescribed amount of fluid in. then quickly! pull the cork and install the plug. i know it is a mess but you wont lose more than an ounce or two of fluid.

It's the fill plug that is the issue not the drain plug

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Great tip!

Rick A

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone else have an issue getting the fill plug out of the front diff.

I am making a long trip the up coming weekend towing a trailer and I wanted to change out the fluid. The fill bolt was so tight I snapped a breaker bar and started twisting the bolt.

Any tips from people in the same situation ?
N

Rick A

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had the same problem with mine. Drove around to get front diff nice and hot, then melted about ten ice cubes on the fill plug, and with a little persistence the plug busted loose. Make sure you use a six point socket or you’ll stip it

OP
OP
97audia4

97audia4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right! My reading comprehension skills are not what they once were!

I am going to hit it with some PB plaster in the morning, and then right after my drive home tomorrow it should be hot enough to try and pound a socket on and remove. I really want to get this fluid out before I make a 1000 mile trek with a trailer.

OP
OP
97audia4

97audia4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this was an epic fail the head of the filler just crumbles even with a 17mm socket hammered on. I put kroil on it this morning and drive it to work and then again when I got home. Tapped the case with a soft mallet and then tried using the breaker bar with no luck. Next I tried to use my 3/8 20v dewalt impact and still no go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne