Front Bump Stop Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ridin_low07

Reaction score
Previous owner hacked off the front bump stop cups and I am having a helluva time find some sort of replacement to bolt In. Truck is an 01 Tahoe with belltech drop spindles, Purple Keys and Stock replacement shocks. The front end bounces really bad and sways when going over bumps and dips. Looking to fix asap. Suggestions?

20200831_073851.jpg

BlackedOutHoe

Low & Slow
Reaction score
Belltech Street Performance shocks. These are what I run so can say confidently they will all but fix the problem as I ran into the same thing prior.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Previous owner hacked off the front bump stop cups and I am having a helluva time find some sort of replacement to bolt In. Truck is an 01 Tahoe with belltech drop spindles, Purple Keys and Stock replacement shocks. The front end bounces really bad and sways when going over bumps and dips. Looking to fix asap. Suggestions?

View attachment 256153

I would consider something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-523-0...keywords=zq9+bump+stops&qid=1598989082&sr=8-2

or this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026M9BDC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am running the latter in my gmt400 to replace hard AF bump stops. Works great! No more sudden jarring when I hit the stops.

I would imagine that you could use the bolt in cups and find a stock replacement that would fit, if not one of those or something similar would probably work well as is.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@TheAutumnWind Are you saying the rubber part or the cup itself? I am saying I have no rubber, just the cup and BT SP shocks and mine rides fine.
You really should have the "rubber" part. What happens when you bottom it out? You must have some mighty fine roads in your area.

I am sure that the stock replacement shocks are not doing @ridin_low07 any favors with the keys as well. A shorter body shock like you are suggesting would likely be helpful, but jounce stops do make a big difference as torsion bars are linear and the jounces provide a progressive feel at the end of the travel. In stock form these trucks nearly ride on the stops.

BlackedOutHoe

Low & Slow
Reaction score
You really should have the "rubber" part. What happens when you bottom it out? You must have some mighty fine roads in your area.

I am sure that the stock replacement shocks are not doing @ridin_low07 any favors with the keys as well. A shorter body shock like you are suggesting would likely be helpful, but jounce stops do make a big difference as torsion bars are linear and the jounces provide a progressive feel at the end of the travel. In stock form these trucks nearly ride on the stops.

I don't bottom out in the front, ever. I also pay attention and avoid parts of the road that would possibly encourage full suspension travel. (Not saying you don't).

Agree, keys aren't helping, but I can confidently say that I had the same problem and changing to a progressive rate shock fixed it for me.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't bottom out in the front, ever. I also pay attention and avoid parts of the road that would possibly encourage full suspension travel. (Not saying you don't).

Agree, keys aren't helping, but I can confidently say that I had the same problem and changing to a progressive rate shock fixed it for me.

Interesting that works so well for you. I have no experience with those shocks.

I live by a quarry so all the heavy trucks are hell on the roads. There is not too many options to avoid bad parts.

In my experience a lot of people with poor ride quality on these trucks assume that the front stops are *just* bump stops, but they do contribute to the ride pretty significantly. Many of these trucks at this point have worn out or missing jounce stops. On my old truck I trimmed them a bit when it was decranked and that worked well. Rode like stock. It wasn't slammed though.