Front Bump Stop Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackedOutHoe

Low & Slow
Reaction score
Interesting that works so well for you. I have no experience with those shocks.

I live by a quarry so all the heavy trucks are hell on the roads. There is not too many options to avoid bad parts.

In my experience a lot of people with poor ride quality on these trucks assume that the front stops are *just* bump stops, but they do contribute to the ride pretty significantly. Many of these trucks at this point have worn out or missing jounce stops. On my old truck I trimmed them a bit when it was decranked and that worked well. Rode like stock. It wasn't slammed though.

A lot of it I've found comes from setting it up right when you mod it (lift or lower). Find out your suspension travel, and match the proper size tire with a good shock and most problems can be avoided. It's when you try to stuff big tires on a lift kit or slam too low on stock size tires you run into most problems.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of it I've found comes from setting it up right when you mod it (lift or lower). Find out your suspension travel, and match the proper size tire with a good shock and most problems can be avoided. It's when you try to stuff big tires on a lift kit or slam too low on stock size tires you run into most problems.
If you’re not running jounce stops in a torsion bar system, you are most definitely not running optimum by any means. They’re not bump stops per se but are utilized as a fulcrum point for the torsion bars. Your shocks aren’t going to do what the jounce stops do. I can just about guarantee you that if you put jounce stops back in, your ride will improve. Your shocks are helping to cover up what you did to the suspension by removing your jounce stops. Tire size has little to do with it, and unless your shocks are bottoming or don’t have enough lift they’re not the problem either. I have run both 26’s and now 22’s with 2” Belltech drop spindles and Bilstein 4600’s combined with a DJM sway bar and Energy Suspension end links and poly bushings and I could definitely feel the difference when I replaced my worn-out bump stops. You should put a set in and see. I saw on the FB group Tahoe Nation they were telling people to remove them and guys were cutting the cups off, and then they were having handling/ ride issues and wondering why. LMAO.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’re not running jounce stops in a torsion bar system, you are most definitely not running optimum by any means. They’re not bump stops per se but are utilized as a fulcrum point for the torsion bars. Your shocks aren’t going to do what the jounce stops do. I can just about guarantee you that if you put jounce stops back in, your ride will improve. Your shocks are helping to cover up what you did to the suspension by removing your jounce stops. Tire size has little to do with it, and unless your shocks are bottoming or don’t have enough lift they’re not the problem either. I have run both 26’s and now 22’s with 2” Belltech drop spindles and Bilstein 4600’s combined with a DJM sway bar and Energy Suspension end links and poly bushings and I could definitely feel the difference when I replaced my worn-out bump stops. You should put a set in and see. I saw on the FB group Tahoe Nation they were telling people to remove them and guys were cutting the cups off, and then they were having handling/ ride issues and wondering why. LMAO.
This is why I stay away from FB groups...

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Junkyard..? Cut some off, and weld on yours.. PITA, but, like @Rocket Man , and others have stated, if this is still a torsion bar setup, and not converted to coilovers, those bounce stops have everything to do with the functionality of the torsion front suspension. The fulcrum point needs to be there, or it’s just like a wobbly a$$ spring.