Flush transmission mileage ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s still shifts smoothly, quickly and the temperature still stays where it needs to be even without the pill flip. each situation is different. If I were to do the service I would stick with the severe service interval.

How do you check the transmission temperature in your 2019? I've tried about everything to get a reading on the DIC panel and I can't get it to show.

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you check the transmission temperature in your 2019? I've tried about everything to get a reading on the DIC panel and I can't get it to show.
Maybe you don’t have it ? Which is odd but not surprised

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to click over to the left using the steering wheel controls, then you can edit what screens you want to cycle through if you go down to “options” then “info pages”.
There should be one for transmission oil temp that will have a check box next to it. Select that and then it'll become one of your screens you can cycle through on the DIC.

Last edited:

SpineDock

Reaction score
Trans has its own pump, so after changing out the fluid in the pan, disconnect the upper trans line going into the passenger side of radiator. Stick a piece of hose into the fitting (or buy the nipple adapter for a couple bucks) and place the other end into a bucket. Start engine and shut it off right when the fluid coming out of the hose starts to sputter. Add 3-4 qts of fluid to the pan via the dipstick tube and repeat. Do this about 3-4 times, or until the fluid coming out of the hose is clean, new cherry red fluid. Put trans line back into radiator, drive around block and check fluid level, top off as needed.

The trans holds a total of about 12.5 qts of fluid. About 6 in the pan and the rest in the converter. Doing the procedure above using 13-14 qts of fluid will replace/exchange all fluid in the system.
Thanks for the info gooffeyguy.
If I were to also be ‘flipping the pill’ then which line from the thermostat housing would be the same as the upper passenger radiator line you speak of? So I may get the most fluid out as possible while already underneath the truck…

Power_Dr

Reaction score
I would like to do a flush and fill myself after I drop the pan and replace the filter. My question is, with the transmission thermostat bypass valve, how do you get fluid to be pumped out of the transmission via the cooler line if the transmission is not up to temp? If the bypass thermostat is not allowing the fluid to get out of the transmission?

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a quote of $285
I’m still nervous as hell but this show also does dyno tunes and my family has known this shop for ever
That is a great price. You need the new gasket, filter and fluid. You need to clean the magnets as well. I would not let anyone do it except the dealer.

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I flush transmission fluid and replace filters in our family cars at 30,000 miles intervals. I just went thru my service records on my 2001 GMC Yukon and I’ve flushed my transmission fluid 6X in 165K miles, so average about 27K miles between flushes. Used a combination of dealer and local trusted shops for this Yukon. Knock on wood, no tranny problems yet at 172K miles and running smoothly.

2021, 165K miles, paid $275 incl filter
2014, 145K miles
2010, 122K miles
2007, 89K miles
2005, 59K miles
2003, 32K miles
2001, new, orig owner

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So why fix something that ain’t broke?
Read somewhere:
It pays to maintain more than it costs to repair.
If I were to do the service I would stick with the severe service interval.
You plan on keeping it, eh, like Scott in AZ?
I flush transmission fluid and replace filters in our family cars at 30,000 miles intervals ... Knock on wood, no tranny problems yet at 172K miles and running smoothly.
GM wants you to buy another one about every 150,000 miles. To keep it longer than that, maintain it harder.

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Severe service interval is 50,000 miles. For a lot of people that’s 4-5 years of driving. That’s a long time if you towing a boat or driving up the big hill on I-17 from Phoenix to Prescott in the hot summer.

Don’t even get me started on the normal interval of 100,000 miles for transmission fluid service. I’m not an automotive drivetrain engineer, but I am an engineer …. 7-10 years to service the transmission seems like a long time to me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beat Ta hoes