Flush or change trans fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Bxcliff

Bxcliff

Reaction score
Yes, it is safe. You dont want to run out of fluid of course, but you arent going run it dry if you shut it down when you see some bubbles. If you have the 4L80E you do have a lot of fluid in there like I said it is somewhere around 14 qts or 3.5 Gallons. There is a lot more in there than what is in the pan. The converter alone holds a few quarts. There is enough time from when you see some bubbles to shut it down yourself if you are working alone. If you feel better have someone sitting inside and you can have them shut it when you tell them (Or just get longer tubes). I actually added fluid as it was running to replenish what was pumping out - which is why I used a little more fluid. Empty the pan as the video shows ( by pumping or draining) change your filter, then top off before starting again. Then let it pump out and refill until you see a color change. I was a little reluctant, but once I did it I would do it again without thinking about it.
Great! That explains it better than the video, thanks man. I'll be tackling that on a weekend. I appreciate everyone's help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is safe. You dont want to run out of fluid of course, but you arent going run it dry if you shut it down when you see some bubbles. If you have the 4L80E you do have a lot of fluid in there like I said it is somewhere around 14 qts or 3.5 Gallons. There is a lot more in there than what is in the pan. The converter alone holds a few quarts. There is enough time from when you see some bubbles to shut it down yourself if you are working alone. If you feel better have someone sitting inside and you can have them shut it when you tell them (Or just get longer tubes). I actually added fluid as it was running to replenish what was pumping out - which is why I used a little more fluid. Empty the pan as the video shows ( by pumping or draining) change your filter, then top off before starting again. Then let it pump out and refill until you see a color change. I was a little reluctant, but once I did it I would do it again without thinking about it.
Highly unlikely he has a 4l80 with awd. I've never seen it come in that configuration and the reason guys were making custom parts to retro them into awd systems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bxcliff

Bxcliff

Reaction score
Highly unlikely he has a 4l80 with awd. I've never seen it come in that configuration and the reason guys were making custom parts to retro them into awd systems.

True, I have the 4l60e trans and I believe it holds 6 quarts for the pan alone and 12 for the entire system. I'm not too sure though

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to my service manual that's about right. 5-6 quarts for the deep pan.

Other than replacing the filter...its a good idea to inspect and clean the magnet in the bottom inside of the pan for any unusual large metallic shrapnel.

The magnet is mostly misunderstood in that sense. People think it's there to just collect fine metal particles and clean the oil. It's more useful as an indicator of when it's time to rebuild.

OP
OP
Bxcliff

Bxcliff

Reaction score

Other than replacing the filter...its a good idea to inspect and clean the magnet in the bottom inside of the pan for any unusual large metallic shrapnel.

The magnet is mostly misunderstood in that sense. People think it's there to just collect fine metal particles and clean the oil. It's more useful as an indicator of when it's time to rebuild.
Yeah that's what we did with my dad's suburban, my friend has new magnets at our job I'll just use one of those for my Denali as well

OP
OP
Bxcliff

Bxcliff

Reaction score

Yeah that's what we did with my dad's suburban, my friend has new magnets at our job I'll just use one of those for my Denali as well

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Damn, I Was thinking about my 2500. Yeah, definitely not that much fluid with the 4L60E, But they still hold a lot more than the pan does.

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont want to risk using the machine to flush out the fluid, I dont think my dad serviced it at all after the rebuild.

But about that video, is it safe to do that? My truck doesnt take a whole lot of quarts in the entire trans and I'm scared I might run it with no fluid for a moment.

Also how much fluid does that remove from the entire system? In other words would I have to do it a second time possibly?

Hey, just wondering if you ever got around to the fluid change and how did you do it.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There really is no reason to use a new magnet unless the original became demagnetized somehow. If you observer anything larger than fine powder-like particles adhered to the magnet then it may be time to investigate further and possibly make the case for a transmission overhaul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE