Flush or change trans fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoYukon Forum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would say about 30 or 50k miles ago, so would it be best just to change the fluid and filter? It doesn't look burnt up at all just brown with a tint of red.

Hey all, I am curious that fluid is brownish/red after only 30-50k MLS. My last vehicle went 100k and fluid was still pink/red w/o brown color. Did it actually get rebuilt?

Just seems odd to me as I had a place rebuild my TH -350 25 years ago and it wasn't rebuilt, they lied and just changed the fluid so it looked clean when I picked up, a couple thound miles and was dirt brown again. Cost me $350 and couldn't find them as they got fired for scams. I was a kid too so lesson learned.

I changed mine when I 1rst got 03 Tahoe 5.3 by changing filter and pan fluid first and then got a hand pumps desighned for tranny fluid that pushes & pulls fluid twice a yr w/o changing filter. The pump (I think it is a Mytvac) that you push a thin tube down the dipstick tube and it sucks it out, mark the vac tank, refill with fresh fluid and push into trans. Works great for the price ($75) and have been doing this for 5 years.
Going to change filter on next change and expect a clean...ISH filter.

Good luck buddy. :^)

OP
OP
Bxcliff

Bxcliff

Reaction score
Hey, just wondering if you ever got around to the fluid change and how did you do it.
I eventually got around to do it, I had final exams so I didnt have time then. What I did for now was I changed the filter and replaced the fluid that came out. I also realized I had a leak in one the lines so I had to fix that too.

I eventually want to do what was done in that video posted in this thread as the fluid is still sort of brown.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A trick to get the pan off is to pry on the bracket that holds the shifter cable using a small pry bar or large screw driver. Don't pry on the plastic of the shifter cable, just on the edge of the bracket on the front side. Pry it all the way to the drive shaft if 4x4 and pan will be free. Don't flush if the fluid smells burnt. 6qts or so to refill. If you have a drain plug on the trans pan, it helps.... drain it first- it will leave about a half qt in the pan. In 6mos or so, just drain again and refill fresh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne