Flowmaster is really quite

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoe035.3

Reaction score
Today I installed a flowmaster super 44 and dumped it rite off the end of the muffler. I just cut off the stock muffler and put the flowmaster in its place. The problem is it's almost as quiet as the stock exhaust at idle it starts and has a nice rumble but when driving I can barely hear it all, all I can hear is a wooshing noise thats kinda annoying. My friend has a 2002 chevy 5.3 that does the same thing and is just as quiet

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I`ve never heard anyone say a super 44 was quiet. It`s always the opposite, too loud with way too much drone.

I have a 50 series with 2-1/2 inch dual tailpipes with 4 inch tips and it`s pretty damn loud.

OP
OP
T

tahoe035.3

Reaction score
Yea me either, that's why I can't figure out why I'm the world it's so quiet. The only guess I have is its something to do with the cats

carduke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree on getting the Super 10 instead or just cut pipes if loud is all you're looking for.

Mudfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every once in a while I hear someone complain the 44 or 40 is to quiet. Typically, the muffler is either installed backwards or the converters are clogging / clogged.

OP
OP
T

tahoe035.3

Reaction score
I believe the the cats are starting to clog because the muffler is installed right its not backwards. I'm not looking for something crazy loud I wanted something in the middle between stock exhaust and straights so I opted for the flowmaster, it sounds like it hasn't hardly gotten any louder except at idle. How can I tell if the cats are clogged?

Last edited:

CM Burns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just cut mine off, I had a 50-series and it was pretty loud, and droned a lot. I replaced it with a Bigger Magnaflow and it quietened down to a low rumble, and the drone almost completely.

That is strange, because I have never had a Flowmaster on any of my trucks be anything but LOUD.

As far a clogged cats, your truck would be acting up slighty or majorly depending on how bad they are clogged....you would know it, or in my case just last week, completely clogged left cat & made the left cylinders mis-fire, my Yukon wouldnt go over 40-50 mph the final morning on the way to the muffler shop, and the loud tapping noise (the cats). (The quiet ticking started weeks ago and then by last week, sounded like a tractor idling. Definitely a gradual process.)

But I will say that after I put the new cats on, now the "quiet" magnaflow is a lot louder and the drone is back lol, oh well, still isnt as bad as the Flowmaster previously...

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Today I installed a flowmaster super 44 and dumped it rite off the end of the muffler. I just cut off the stock muffler and put the flowmaster in its place. The problem is it's almost as quiet as the stock exhaust at idle it starts and has a nice rumble but when driving I can barely hear it all, all I can hear is a wooshing noise thats kinda annoying. My friend has a 2002 chevy 5.3 that does the same thing and is just as quiet

just a heads up flowmaster i never use anymore due to chambered design and id look at magnaflow. Straight thru and ive heard this whoosing noise before on the 5.3s tahoes and trucks from flowmaster.

PM me if you decide to change it out because you will be happy with a magnaflow muffler

OP
OP
T

tahoe035.3

Reaction score
just a heads up flowmaster i never use anymore due to chambered design and id look at magnaflow. Straight thru and ive heard this whoosing noise before on the 5.3s tahoes and trucks from flowmaster.

PM me if you decide to change it out because you will be happy with a magnaflow muffler

I'll proably end up looking into magnaflow once this flowmaster gets on my nerves enough. I have the whoosing noise to from the flowmaster once I really get into it is very anoying, but I really love the roar you get with them when just cruiseing but hate the sound once I give it some gas. I love the way magnaflow sounds on other vehicles but it seems on 5.3s they sound like a old set of glasspacks. If I can find a straight-through magnaflow that gives me a roar that doesn't pop like straights I will get one. I'm not concerned if it's too loud I just don't want it to sound like I have straights

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMC Burbalade

Latest posts