Fixing my rattle trap interior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Ordered the plastic door limit brackets. Stumbled onto some interesting stuff from 3M. They have products designed for auto manufacturers to reduce Buzz Squeak & Rattle, BSR. I may look through what they have an order some of the 3M materials for panel gaps / seams.

UPDATE: Upon looking closer the solutions seem to be sold direct to manufacturers :( I think I will buy some of this cotton cloth friction tape and put it behind the door molding where it meets the door and give it a try when I install the door limits.

3M Cotton Cloth Friction Tape

Next question, I want to find a good sticky foam tape that would adhere well to door. Reason is the linkages for locks and door are source of rattle as well. Or if there's another suggestion to quiet those down, I already tried replacing the plastic clips that loosely hold them.
Either @iamdub Or @Doubeleive had bought 1 sided "velour" type tape for their door rods/latches that were rattling. That did the trick.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I had a post on this already but cannot find it. Most of my truck is rebuilt mechanically. I'm moving onto interior. I have to tear down the dash and front doors. Want to fix items that rattle as I do this.

Question 1: Need to find a list of products such as foam tape, felt tape, glues, etc that can be used were panels meet to deaden rattles. Anybody have experience with panel seam insulation materials that work well?

Question 2:
My door limit brackets on front doors are warn out. The doors fly open too easily especially when I'm parked on an incline. I cannot find original factory part numbers on GmPartsDirect.com an eBay search shows up the ones linked below. Long story short, anybody know of a quality door limit bracket? I have bad luck with chinese knock off parts.

Door limit bracket on eBay.

Any additional tips on rebuilding interior are appreciated! Thanks :)

Don't forget to use GMPartsGiant when looking for part numbers.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either @iamdub Or @Doubeleive had bought 1 sided "velour" type tape for their door rods/latches that were rattling. That did the trick.

I haven't yet, but I've seen it used from the factory on the higher trim levels such as the Denali and Escalade.

Basically, @Matthew Jeschke, where those metal spring tabs snap into the slots to attach plastic panels to metal or plastic frames/shells, this tape is applied over that slot and a slit is cut in the center. It's more like a thin velvet. For the lock rod cushioning, you'll want something thicker, like felt tape that's about 1/8" thick or more. Or, if you can find them, the adhesive foam rubber squares.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to verify the wear characteristics of some of those materials. You don't want any of that stuff disintegrating over time due to heating/cooling cycles.
Any weather stripping I have tried has had two results... 1) Doesn't stick at all, or 2) sticks so good that you can't remove it all when foam starts crumbling.

I haven't used in automotive applications, but every time I tried different weather strip products for home, it has been a disappointment.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The frost king stuff that @iamdub listed above is good. Used it to quiet a 3rd Gen F body many years ago.

I lined the entire left side of my Burb with KillMatz when I put the sub in. That shit works wonders.

Look into "backer rod" for panel seams for cushioning panels against the metal body. They come in rolls of feet and are in a tube shape. You can easily cut them with a box knife or scissors and fit them into areas. I used 1/2" and 1/4" diameter backer rods in my Burb to quiet the panels that I thought were noisy. I also used them behind the pop-out grill in the back (where the jack accessories are) cause that panel was vibrating when the bass hit. I cut the 1/4" diameter into quarter rounds and hot glued them into place...snapped the cover back on and no more rattles.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The frost king stuff that @iamdub listed above is good. Used it to quiet a 3rd Gen F body many years ago.

You quieted a 3rd Gen F Body?! o_O

Look into "backer rod" for panel seams for cushioning panels against the metal body. They come in rolls of feet and are in a tube shape. You can easily cut them with a box knife or scissors and fit them into areas. I used 1/2" and 1/4" diameter backer rods in my Burb to quiet the panels that I thought were noisy. I also used them behind the pop-out grill in the back (where the jack accessories are) cause that panel was vibrating when the bass hit. I cut the 1/4" diameter into quarter rounds and hot glued them into place...snapped the cover back on and no more rattles.

Great idea with the backer rod!

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@fozzi58 I actually have some backer rod. Somebody recommended pulling it through old weather stripping. I have to say it didn't work for that but your idea is MUCH better! The weather stripping just fell apart as I tried to pull it through and the backer rod no matter how much silicone grease I used seemed to rip before I could get it too far in the weather stripping.

On a side note, much of my weather stripping was pulled at the junkyard, soaked and cleaned VERY thoroughly. However, it's still old. I kind of want new but it isn't exactly free. It's kind of spendy.

@MassHoe04 I hear ya. I bought some, a while back though, not sure what brand to do windows in a house and it worked REALLY well. However, I wish I could find some that is 3M brand for automotive application. I'm CERTAIN 3M makes it but no idea where to buy it. For now I'll try the Frost King. I think my local ACE sells it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC