Firewall sound deadening

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PAPA_E

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I’m looking at doing the inside of my escalade. Most of the panel removals are straightforward but I can’t find anything on dash removal.

I ask, as I plan on doing doors, floors, roof and figure I might as well do the firewall also. Planning on double layer with a 3rd soft foam layer.

Using noico 80mil and noico red 150mil

plan on upgrading audio come Black Friday

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
You should probably also plan on buying a new dash when you remove it as the odds of you removing and reinstalling the old dash without causing any cracks is pretty slim given the track record of the dash boards in these trucks.

camaroz2887

Reaction score
Haven’t done it myself but if ya swing over and look at some of the dash crack repair threads it’ll get u started on tear down a little and show you where to re-enforce the dash so the crack won’t happen when ya put it back.

Took apart a dash on a 03 burban to get a few things fixed in the dash(heater core, actuators, misc wiring issues)... there was more bs in that dash than the whole car put together. Think we did the engine and trans replacement faster lmao.

good luck. Interested to see what ya find/achieve.

OP
OP
PAPA_E

PAPA_E

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well if something cracks I can just replace it No worried about that. I think for now I’ll just sound deaden everything else and build a custom box. If I’m now happy I may pull the dash. I mean how much that will help I’m skeptical. Plus pulling the carpet I feel like I can get a decent portion and he’ll I could just apply material in the engine Bay Area right??? Lol

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if something cracks I can just replace it No worried about that. I think for now I’ll just sound deaden everything else and build a custom box. If I’m now happy I may pull the dash. I mean how much that will help I’m skeptical. Plus pulling the carpet I feel like I can get a decent portion and he’ll I could just apply material in the engine Bay Area right??? Lol
Dash will come out but you have to remove everything else except the steering column to get it out, not sure on the center console with the Escalades, once you start taking all the pieces off you will see the other screws to get the dash out, taking it out is the easy part, putting it back in and getting everything hooked back up is the fun part, you might be better off just getting what you can installed from underneath as far as you can reach back.

OP
OP
PAPA_E

PAPA_E

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dash will come out but you have to remove everything else except the steering column to get it out, not sure on the center console with the Escalades, once you start taking all the pieces off you will see the other screws to get the dash out, taking it out is the easy part, putting it back in and getting everything hooked back up is the fun part, you might be better off just getting what you can installed from underneath as far as you can reach back.

I am starting to see this as my best option lol

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am starting to see this as my best option lol
this guy made a video of taking one out of a tahoe, the esky would be a bit different, he makes it look easy and he's pretty rough with and messes up some stuff like he doesn't give a rats ass, but basically this is what is involved, but like I said getting it all back in is a different game, I used to pull dashes out of Camaro's and Trans-am's I got to where I could get one out in about 15 minutes but putting it back in was a major pain.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Main sources of noise in these cabins are the wheel tubs, doors, and a little on the floor. I would go up on the toeboard with 2 layers of the 80 mill, do the front kick panels, do every door 1 layer on the inside of the door, and 1 layer where the moisture barrier is, do 2 layers of 80 mill on rear wheel wells with the foam over those, 1 layer of 80 mill in rest of the floor optional foam one but will help. The roof 1 layers of 80 will be about perfect. Pulling dash will be alot of work for little payout... Doors and floors are the biggest thing in these and the esky already has better sound deadening than the standard ones from what I have heard. Just what I learned from a few years competing in SQ and researching acoustics and where road noise comes the most at, vs what your keeping in. DONT forget the rear door, give it some love too but not too much love, weight can get excessive real fast back there and struts will struggle to keep it up and cause the actuator for the door to have issues.

HOpe this helps man... I knew a guy who pulled his blazer down to nothing inside, he glued 1/2" MDF sheets to the roof to control flex, then about 80 mil deadening, granted it added a ton of weight to the roof, BUT when that massive system hit, that roof didn't budge at all. This was when Soundstream was actually good, Fosgate hadn't sold out, PPI was powerhouses, and Kicker SOLO had just came out. Give you an idea of how many years that was.

OP
OP
PAPA_E

PAPA_E

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
this guy made a video of taking one out of a tahoe, the esky would be a bit different, he makes it look easy and he's pretty rough with and messes up some stuff like he doesn't give a rats ass, but basically this is what is involved, but like I said getting it all back in is a different game, I used to pull dashes out of Camaro's and Trans-am's I got to where I could get one out in about 15 minutes but putting it back in was a major pain.

I really appreciate this, I tried to find exactly this in YouTube and couldn’t. So I really appreciate you putting this here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rs401