Finally stranded me...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have dual batteries, but there are not connected at all times. I have a high amp quick-disconnect connector on the second battery leads that I connect to the charging system once a month for about 50 miles of driving to keep that battery's charge topped off, and then I disconnect. My hope is that if I have a primary battery failure in the future when I am away from home, I can simply reconnect the connector on the second battery and keep me going.

Regarding starters, my starter on my 6.2 failed at 130k miles.
You mind posting a pick or how to of your setup?

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even with all the battery talk, I still think the starter was the primary culprit in stranding me, with the battery being a secondary issue discovered.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
PXL_20210927_164242891.jpgPXL_20210927_164156445.jpg

The ground for the second battery is connected to the same stud on the engine block that the main battery's ground is connected to, and the 12v hot wire for the second battery is connected to the same stud on the main fuse block on the fire wall that the primary battery's 12v hot wire is connected to.

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 351464View attachment 351465

The ground for the second battery is connected to the same stud on the engine block that the main battery's ground is connected to, and the 12v hot wire for the second battery is connected to the same stud on the main fuse block on the fire wall that the primary battery's 12v hot wire is connected to.
I appreciate that. Thank you!

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: I'M STRANDED RIGHT NOW.

In Richmond again. Pulled into hotel parking lot, turn truck off. Go to start it again, it makes a LOUD whirring noise, no crank. I try again. Loud whirring noise, which even continues when I remove the key from the ignition. It finally dies; the truck no longer clicks or cranks when I turn the ignition. Batteries are perfectly fine, of course, and everything that needs battery power works fine. The engine just doesn't turn.

Any ideas? I'm stuck here again, had to cancel my plans for tomorrow because I have to take it back to the dealer, this time probably definitely with a tow.

ANY thoughts and suggestions while I'm stuck here? Thanks so much guys and gals.

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the starter solenoid stayed engaged giving power to starter and the starter gear never engaged the flywheel.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: I'M STRANDED RIGHT NOW.

In Richmond again. Pulled into hotel parking lot, turn truck off. Go to start it again, it makes a LOUD whirring noise, no crank. I try again. Loud whirring noise, which even continues when I remove the key from the ignition. It finally dies; the truck no longer clicks or cranks when I turn the ignition. Batteries are perfectly fine, of course, and everything that needs battery power works fine. The engine just doesn't turn.

Any ideas? I'm stuck here again, had to cancel my plans for tomorrow because I have to take it back to the dealer, this time probably definitely with a tow.

ANY thoughts and suggestions while I'm stuck here? Thanks so much guys and gals.
I'm in Richmond and can potentially lend a hand in the morning if needed. Lemme know. Send me a PM and I'll send you my mobile. And, I can also recommend another local shop instead of the dealer if that's helpful.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just sent you a PM. So super grateful to you bud...

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Richmond and can potentially lend a hand in the morning if needed. Lemme know. Send me a PM and I'll send you my mobile. And, I can also recommend another local shop instead of the dealer if that's helpful.
Hey Geotrash. I think you accidentally sent that pm to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts