FINALLY! Retrofit TSX HID projectors into Depo headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
It has been a long time coming, but I finally got it done :rocking: I've had the TSX projectors for probably a year now. Just never got around to doing it. I know it's nothing new. But I did want to install them so I could potentially remove the projectors easily, and do it all without removing lens. I came up with a plan on how, that didn't exactly work out. Of course. But I was able to figure a way could still remove projectors fairly easy. So if ever wanted to change, fix, remove, do cutoff, washer, color ect...mods, will be able to, without cutting it all up.

Didn't plan on doing a full HOW-TO. But took some pics, and thought I would explain n show, how I did my HID retrofit.

Parts used:
Depo projector headlights, TSX HID projectors w/clear lenses, Matsushita ballasts & Osram OEM bulbs.

Retrofit install:
Removing Depo projectors is easy. Heat gun, few screws, pull apart. Love how easy it is on these lights.
20131106_133359_zpsb6de31b6.jpg

I had to remove bezel from housing, cause it needed to be trimmed. Removing it sucked. I had too grind down an area inside housing. You can see the spot at bottom of inside opening. Then fenagled the bezel out of the opening..PITA!!!!!
20131106_131734_zpsa53a436a.jpg
The bezel had to be cut so TSX projector would not push it out towards lens. Hole size was perfect, just too deep. Pic of how much cutoff.
20131106_131726_zpsda7b71a2.jpg
20131106_144531_zpsdcf67f46.jpg
Cut bezel and TSX projector.
20131106_131900_zpsc22e52a6.jpg

Now, I planned on fiberglassing a flange around entire opening, then bolt projector to that, make removable. But that ended up not working out. Which sucked, cause I spent a night making the fiberglass piece, move on. Getting the projector lined up was a process. Since opening where projector sits is flat, no worries there. And bezel can't move up or down, only left and right. Lining up projector to bezel up & down, then figure placement of projector from left & right. Then lined bezel up to projector lens left & right, had placement for both set. Secured the bezel to housing first, then I could easily know where to place projector. All fairly easy, just a lot of moving around, checking, double checking, triple checking placement, and look. Applying HID light to ensure proper alignement(straight cutoff) best as possible. The TSX projector is so nice for this retro. Size, shape ect.. Great fit.
20131106_135703_zps91dc3b2f.jpg
Now that I had bezel secured to housing and lined up for projector. It was about how to secure front portion of projector, lens part, to the headlight housing. So I ended up using the original sealant/adhesive that Depo had used to secure there projector to housing. Stuff sticks very well, and since it can be heated up and removed. Was exactly what I was wanting use, making pojector removable. Heated up some of the adhesive on projector and housing, and lined it up to the bezel. Which was my guide for the placement, left/right, up/down, for projector. Just had to ensure the cutoff was flat/straight, tilt wise. Which was tough, since projector is two pieces, and front half only has lens, not cutoff. So had to eyeball it, and hope I got it straight. First try luckily! But again, nice thing about using that sealent/adhesive. Can be heated up, and re adjusted if need be.

The sealent/adhesive worked out great. Used some nuts n holts to secure rear half of projector to front. All holding pretty strong.
20131106_141025_zps7f778228.jpg
Installed bracket. Which went right on without having to modify or trim. There's a bracket that was for housing and original projector. Luckily it cleared new projector without needing to cut. May add brace. But feels very secure as is. We'll see how it handles.
20131106_141307_zps36ca2b02.jpg

Finished project. Retrofitted Depo headlights w/ TSX HID projectors.
20131106_142302_zps8542e270.jpg
20131106_142316_zps2e1617f4.jpg
20131106_142308_zps3c988cf6.jpg
20131106_142539_zpsb1fba4a3.jpg
All low beam. No highs. Dam bright
20131106_192522_zpsac6fc565.jpg
Still gotta adjust em. Nice crisp, flat cutoff.
20131106_192420_zps12d778b0.jpg
Took about 4-5 hours. Good hour figuring out how I was gonna attach projectors to housing, since my original plan didn't work out. I still need to cover/seal around the projector to housing. But have an idea what to do and use so it will be sealed. Looks like nothing was changed, cosmetically. Simple and clean looking. Turned out great, and it all fit so well, and even cleared everything once installed in vehicle. So happy I finally did this, because they are BRIGHT! Wasn't as hard as I thought it was gonna be. Should have done long time ago, seeing how much brighter they are then before. Sorry for the long thread. But wanted to explain the process I did to retrofit TSX projectors into these Depo headlights. Without removing the front lens, and making projectors more easily removable. Maybe give others ideas on how they can retrofit some HID projectors into Depo housings, or others possibly.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good Austin. Bet you can tell the difference big time between the two. I have 4 projectors on mine. Dont think much of it till i drive someone else's. lol..

(btw- still waiting on an address, ha ha)

OP
OP
WHITEOUT

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Ya, huge improvement in light output. And thought the Depo's did a good compared with other lights I've used with HIDs. Obviously true HID projectors are far superior, and now I getta benefit from them. And no longer getting my shadow in front of me when a car with OEM HID lights gets behind me. Ha

Reaction score
Did you have an HID kit on the depo lights before you did the retrofit? If so how was the light output? I keep reading depos work pretty well with them, but of course not as good as a retrofit.

Engine bay looks nice as well with the painted pieces. Did you completely paint the fuse box or just the cover?

Buck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nice job, thanks for documenting the process for us all to see.

Truck looks fantastic :cheers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia