Finally Jumped on the Oil Catch Can Bandwagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/JLT-3084D-B

After purchasing it for $150 I found out that people here have been paying $40 for ones on EBay.

Or $20 on Amazon. Well, $22 if you order the scrubber pad from there as well. Just place your personal labor rate at $100/hour and the extra expense is justified since you don't have to fabricate a mount! You will have to figure out a way to secure the scrubber pad or at least a smaller piece of it into the top, though.

OP
OP
Jason in DLH

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Or $20 on Amazon. Well, $22 if you order the scrubber pad from there as well. Just place your personal labor rate at $100/hour and the extra expense is justified since you don't have to fabricate a mount! You will have to figure out a way to secure the scrubber pad or at least a smaller piece of it into the top, though.

I was thinking of simply stuffing the whole thing with the scrubbers. Or perhaps drilling a hole in the top and attaching the scrubber with a bolt/washer.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of simply stuffing the whole thing with the scrubbers. Or perhaps drilling a hole in the top and attaching the scrubber with a bolt/washer.

The function of the can is to get the oil separated from the air, then stored in the reservoir. If the whole thing is stuffed with filter media, then you (1) lose reservoir capacity and (2) you keep the oil up top near the outlet. This essentially creates a bridge consisting of a bunch of tiny paths for the oil to be pulled along by the airflow so it's led from the inlet side to the outlet side, bypassing the purpose of the catch can. The can would just be slowing down the flow of the oily air instead of filtering it.

A catch can works by coalescing. The oily incoming air needs to get tangled up in the filter media so that the tiny oil droplets collide with and stick to the filter media. More oil droplets collide with and stick to the existing droplets (coalesce), and they form a larger drop that's too heavy to remain suspended in the air stream, so they drop out of it and drip into the bottom of the reservoir. The air keeps moving as it's much lighter than the oil and its molecules can pass through the media with no problem.

From JLT's site:

oil-separator-fine-mesh-filter1.jpg

"Filtering consists of a fine mesh stainless steel screen that traps fine oil vapors and releases them once heavy enough to fall. They then pass through a 1/2" thick 1/16th" aluminum honeycomb filter where they grow every larger and then fall into the bottom. By the time the oil gets through the filter it's too heavy to be passed on into the intake."

My understanding from this is that there's filter media behind that screen that we can see in the pic. It would make sense to me that that would be the inlet and the open area to the left is the outlet. If so, and if there's a fine screen behind it, then it's probably pretty good as-is and additional, coarser media wouldn't make any real improvement. At least, nothing worth the modification necessary to secure it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jason in DLH

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
The function of the can is to get the oil separated from the air, then stored in the reservoir. If the whole thing is stuffed, with filter media, then you (1) lose reservoir capacity and (2) you keep the oil up top near the outlet. This essentially creates a bridge consisting of a bunch of tiny paths for the oil to be pulled along by the airflow so it's led from the inlet side to the outlet side, bypassing the purpose of the catch can. The can would just be slowing down the flow of the oily air instead of filtering it.

A catch can works by coalescing. The oily incoming air needs to get tangled up in the filter media so that the tiny oil droplets collide with and stick to the filter media. More oil droplets collide with and stick to the existing droplets (coalesce), and they form a larger drop that's too heavy to remain suspended in the air stream, so they drop out of it and drip into the bottom of the reservoir. The air keeps moving as it's much lighter than the oil and its molecules can pass through the media with no problem.

From JLT's site:

oil-separator-fine-mesh-filter1.jpg

"Filtering consists of a fine mesh stainless steel screen that traps fine oil vapors and releases them once heavy enough to fall. They then pass through a 1/2" thick 1/16th" aluminum honeycomb filter where they grow every larger and then fall into the bottom. By the time the oil gets through the filter it's too heavy to be passed on into the intake."

My understanding from this is that there's filter media behind that screen that we can see in the pic. It would make sense to me that that would be the inlet and the open area to the left is the outlet. If so, and if there's a fine screen behind it, then it's probably pretty good as-is and additional, coarser media wouldn't make any real improvement. At least, nothing worth the modification necessary to secure it.

Awesome explanation!

I’ll be removing the can to see if I have the same screen in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10

Latest posts