Finally Jumped on the Oil Catch Can Bandwagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Day

Reaction score
After learning of the catch can from all you great peeps, I finally got around installing mine. The Yukon already has 145,000 miles and it’s 14 years old. Better late than never, right?

View attachment 273864

Next order of business...putting steel wool inside the can (thanks to @iamdub on a separate thread for recommending this, and @kbuskill for explaining why to do it. ).

Here’s his suggestion:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-...-CC/202511523?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US
I bought this one on EBay. Brackets are easy. Had one of these on my RAM. Worked great. 6870F921-0647-4227-84BE-263634434084.jpeg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this oil catch can a fix for oil consumption on '07-'09 5.3l engines?

Depends on what is causing the oil consumption. If it's not severely worn rings and it's the usual rocker cover design and AFM, then a catch can will help. Getting the updated rocker cover will help even more. Disabling AFM or adding the deflector to the relief valve in the oil pan would help even further. All options combined should just about eliminate oil consumption issues.

The updated rocker cover keeps the oil in the engine, which makes it the better option out of the three. But, with how cheap a catch can is, there's no reason to not get one even if you have the updated cover since the PCV system will still pass oil. IMO, I'd disable AFM before dropping the pan to install that shield. Having it disabled can be done for a little as ~$65. The labor involved in removing and replacing the oil pan, plus the ~$50 gasket makes that $65 a bargain!

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did an oil change a few days ago and emptied mine. I would guess that I have driven 500 miles since I last checked this. It is about 12 ounces. My commute is about ten minutes now and I use the remote start a lot. 33b1ff5adde29aa7f21ae1d78b2f5013.jpg

OP
OP
Jason in DLH

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I did an oil change a few days ago and emptied mine. I would guess that I have driven 500 miles since I last checked this. It is about 12 ounces. My commute is about ten minutes now and I use the remote start a lot. 33b1ff5adde29aa7f21ae1d78b2f5013.jpg

Wow! Hard to believe that crud would have ended up back in the intake!

Throw some strawberries on top and you’ve got a Chocolate Shake Special.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Short trips cause a lot of condensation to build up. Your local weather is a factor as well. The moisture content will be higher in the winter. That's just what's in your catch can, but it's almost the same as what's circulating in your oil system. Water eats bearings and makes oil corrosive. You gotta run that thing more!

OP
OP
Jason in DLH

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Short trips cause a lot of condensation to build up. Your local weather is a factor as well. The moisture content will be higher in the winter. That's just what's in your catch can, but it's almost the same as what's circulating in your oil system. Water eats bearings and makes oil corrosive. You gotta run that thing more!

This is good to know. Since Covid hit I’ve been working from home and the only use my ‘07 is seeing nowadays is the trip to the community mailbox down the block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts