Finally Jumped on the Oil Catch Can Bandwagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After reading most (less then half ;)) of this thread, I noticed one of the recommended CCs was the JLT, the discription says it's for the driver side. What's the difference between driver and passenger CC and wouldn't you want to first put one on the passenger side?
Nobody puts a CC on the passenger side. Like mentioned, it’s the clean side and air gets drawn in. There can be a small amount of oil vapor than can get in there under WOT especially if you have a blower or turbo but the solution is a Clean Side Separator which collects that and then as soon as the throttle is released it immediately drains back into the head. It replaces the oil fill cap. I have this one on my blown 02.

phottomatt

Reaction score
Nobody puts a CC on the passenger side. Like mentioned, it’s the clean side and air gets drawn in. There can be a small amount of oil vapor than can get in there under WOT especially if you have a blower or turbo but the solution is a Clean Side Separator which collects that and then as soon as the throttle is released it immediately drains back into the head. It replaces the oil fill cap. I have this one on my blown 02.
OK, so it's different from Ford and Jeep, I put one on my Grand Cherokee and it was on passenger side. Glad I asked

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, so it's different from Ford and Jeep, I put one on my Grand Cherokee and it was on passenger side. Glad I asked
Whichever side the PCV valve is on is the dirty side. The catchcan is always routed in the pcv valve hose. On a Chevy that’s the driver side. I do believe the Ford V8 has the pcv valve on the passenger side because they always get sh*t backwards. I have always hated working on them so I don’t. :nutkick:

Reaction score
Whichever side the PCV valve is on is the dirty side. The catchcan is always routed in the pcv valve hose. On a Chevy that’s the driver side. I do believe the Ford V8 has the pcv valve on the passenger side because they always get sh*t backwards. I have always hated working on them so I don’t. :nutkick:
The PCV on my Ford pushrod motor is at the back of the lower intake. Short hose runs to the back of the upper intake. Only opening in the valve covers is the oil fill.

PCV hole is the right-most hole in the pic...
s-l400.jpg

Joseph Thomas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Depends on what is causing the oil consumption. If it's not severely worn rings and it's the usual rocker cover design and AFM, then a catch can will help. Getting the updated rocker cover will help even more. Disabling AFM or adding the deflector to the relief valve in the oil pan would help even further. All options combined should just about eliminate oil consumption issues.

The updated rocker cover keeps the oil in the engine, which makes it the better option out of the three. But, with how cheap a catch can is, there's no reason to not get one even if you have the updated cover since the PCV system will still pass oil. IMO, I'd disable AFM before dropping the pan to install that shield. Having it disabled can be done for a little as ~$65. The labor involved in removing and replacing the oil pan, plus the ~$50 gasket makes that $65 a bargain!
I just purchased a Range AFM Module. What is the ~$65 AFD delete thing you speak of????

slowride77

Reaction score
Alright, you guys have me convinced. I have ordered one of the Amazon catch cans and will install it on my 2013 Escalade when it arrives.
Thanks!
I was a little hesitant or unsure of why this was a good addition as well, but I can tell you that after the catch can, drivers side valve cover and AFM disable (Range Tech) my Tahoe stopped using oil between changes. I was using about a quart every 3K, especially after long road trip. Now nothing. Worth the time and money.

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was a little hesitant or unsure of why this was a good addition as well, but I can tell you that after the catch can, drivers side valve cover and AFM disable (Range Tech) my Tahoe stopped using oil between changes. I was using about a quart every 3K, especially after long road trip. Now nothing. Worth the time and money.

Thanks. I had believed that since my Escalade was a 2013, and had the updated driver's side valve cover, I would be OK. However, after reading the thread, I am just fine spending a little money for a catch can. That and having AFM disabled in the Black Bear Tune.

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4917859D-8BF1-485D-B3FE-F5717BCDC385.jpeg5B973146-820B-4B73-B7D1-9BD4A67D5157.jpegNew Amazon catch can came in. I fabbed up a little mounting plate and have installed it on the alternator bracket.

I am doing an oil change in 300 miles, so that will be too early to tell.
Next change will be 5000 miles. I will drain the catch can and see what I get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE