Feels like I am driving over rumble strips.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I still have my Denali for one more month and am using it for odd and end jobs.
The thing I noticed over the post several months, which is getting predominantly worse, is it feels like I am driving over rumble strips. Like the ones they have in the middle of the road to keep you from crossing the yellow line.

I know it is not the AFM, because it did it during my TCM tune with AFM turned off. And it does it when in manual 7 mode now without the tune.

Could this be the driveshaft vibration I have read about? I would hate for the tranny to go down right before lease end. However with the powertrain warranty, I am assuming this wouldn't be my problem if it did. ???

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s off and on. Doesn’t feel like a suspension issue. I can make it go away by giving it throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that sounds like maybe a pinion bearing or u-joints, you might want to inspect those or have them inspected to rule in or out. if you get under the truck and grab the driveshaft near where it enters the rear differential and try and shake it, it shouldn't move, you can try twisting the driveshaft too it may have a tiny bit of play normally but shouldn't be turning a lot, another sign of a problem is if it is leaking grease or fluid where the driveshaft enters the differential or anywhere else along the driveline.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s off and on. Doesn’t feel like a suspension issue. I can make it go away by giving it throttle.

If you can make it go away by getting on the throttle, then it’s probably safe to say it’s not suspension related.

If it were an unbalanced drive shaft you would have known/felt this a long time ago. I don’t think drive shafts just unbalance themselves; they either are or aren’t balanced.

I bet it’s the torque converter shudder. There’s a TSB for it...

EDIT: your post from another thread:
Clunking torque convertor; sometimes makes quite a bang releasing while traveling down a hill- never fixed. Takes a while to engage drive after shifting out of reverse especially during cold temps- never fixed.

There’s a TSB to fix all that and it’s related to the torque converter/transmission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were an unbalanced drive shaft you would have known/felt this a long time ago. I don’t think drive shafts just unbalance themselves; they either are or aren’t balanced.

Unless damaged by road debris or a u-joint went bad.

A busted ring gear tooth might feel that way too until it completely grenades itself.

OP
OP
Shadow17

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score

A busted ring gear tooth might feel that way too until it completely grenades itself.
[emoji31]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

I had that happen to a Firebird Formula. I got rearended and the rear must've got tweaked where the fluid dripped out. It progressively got louder, but would go away if I threw it in neutral. Rear finally gave out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon