Feeling Accomplished

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know many others do their own work as well. But I'm feeling rather accomplished from the work done on my Limited. The truck has 206k on it, original engine and transmission. It had been sitting due to an oil leak at the front end of the pan. I was having trouble getting it to seal. Well, the leak is now gone, it is fixed.

While I had things apart, I also put in a new high flow oil pump, new water pump, thermostat, hoses, idler pulley, tensioner, timing chain kit and CPS. After sitting for probably about 6 months, once all the fluids were in, it fired right up without hesitation.

The engine seems to be more responsive, but maybe it's just placebo from how stretched the old timing chain was. It's nice to have it all back together and able to drive.

Next project, complete suspension refresh. The front end bushings, ball joints, etc are all in pretty bad shape and need updating. May start using this as the daily driver again. IMG_20201108_175034.jpg

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Many great things come after doing ones own work. I avoid mechanics at all costs. Especially the dealership! Great job!

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I do too. I almost took it to the shop to get the oil leak sorted. But, the quote I got back for a pan gasket seemed way high. And I wouldn't have had that other stuff replaced. Spent way less on parts than the shop was quoting for just labor.

But I too try to avoid the dealers/mechanic shops. If my 03 Saab sells soon, I'll daily this while I replace the steering rack on my 2010 Saab.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
How much did they quote you to do the pan gasket?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know many others do their own work as well. But I'm feeling rather accomplished from the work done on my Limited. The truck has 206k on it, original engine and transmission. It had been sitting due to an oil leak at the front end of the pan. I was having trouble getting it to seal. Well, the leak is now gone, it is fixed.

While I had things apart, I also put in a new high flow oil pump, new water pump, thermostat, hoses, idler pulley, tensioner, timing chain kit and CPS. After sitting for probably about 6 months, once all the fluids were in, it fired right up without hesitation.

The engine seems to be more responsive, but maybe it's just placebo from how stretched the old timing chain was. It's nice to have it all back together and able to drive.

Next project, complete suspension refresh. The front end bushings, ball joints, etc are all in pretty bad shape and need updating. May start using this as the daily driver again. View attachment 262500
Glad to here you got in there and tackled these things. I have found that I can save quite a bit if money by doing things in my garage versus paying someone to do it.

On top of saving money there is a visceral satisfaction that you get from taking something apart and putting back together in a better condition.

Keep it up and be sure to post up your accomplishments. Also, don’t be afraid to ask questions. Lots of folks here that are willing to share from their experiences. As you can, might offer up some advice based on what you have done and learned as well. That’s what makes this forum such a great source of knowledge.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I find working on my truck therapeutic (most of the time). Just me, the truck, and my music. I’ll even take those bloodied knuckled jobs over paying someone else to do it. The satisfaction is priceless.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great work! As you work on your own truck, you save money and increase your own personal knowledge base.

That's a Win-Win.

And, if you ever get stuck and need advice/recommendations on any issues, folks here are glad to assist you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Georgia 4Low