Fan clutch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
I think my fan clutch is bad and looking to replace.Is ac delco the choice or anyone will do.2004 z71 with 3.73 vin code T heavy duty trailer tow.Ac delco site shows 3 diff clutch's

Last edited:

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEM all the way. Rock auto may have a better warranty than most.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What makes you think the fan clutch is bad?

Have you tried to spin the blades by hand with the truck cold (and not running, duh)? You should have slight resistance then but it should spin.
After the truck is warmed up, try to spin it. If the clutch is working properly you shouldn't be able to move it much, if at all. If it spins easily when hot, then it's bad.

OP
OP
corvette744

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
My ac does not blow cold when i first start the tahoe and let it idle,if i drive it even 1 mile its fine after that and blows cold at idle.From previous experience fan clutch is bad.Freon is full and you need a blanket its so cold just not when you first start it and let idle.I think the 05 and up had electric fans and this would not be a problem just with anyone with a fan clutch.First time it was hot was yesterday remote started the truck it ran for 15 minutes jumped in and was the same temp as outside.Gave it some gas and hold it higher rpms and starts to get cold-drive it and within a mile its ice even at idle-sounds like a clutch fan to me or plugged with debris between condensor and radiator will find out when i replace clutch. Im going with ac delco original equipment.Looks like some problems with aftermarket ones-with noise and other areas.Clutch fan has almost no resistance cold or hot,that seals the deal.

Last edited:

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to say it, "The choice is e-fans". As long as your fan clutch is bad, this would be the time for an E-fan upgrade. 34" radiator (if you don't have that), 05-06 or 07-13 e-fans, harness, and a tune/turn on the efans. Just wanted to make sure you knew.

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that a bad fan clutch is a good time for an E-fan upgrade. I wish I had done it. However it does put more load on the alternator...

OP
OP
corvette744

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Might do the efans someday just installed the clutch fan all good now.Did notice trans lines leaking so got all 3 done also.Im good to go for awhile now,not a drop anywhere see how long that lasts.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Make sure those tranny lines are pulled up and lashed up by the oil pan. Mine were a little low and getting scraped by a steering component on hard turns (can't remember if left turn or right turn). Mine is 4x4 if it matters.

Northern Illinois: I attended NIU in Dekalb for a couple of years. Go Huskies!

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My fan clutch at 265,000 has the same resistance cold or hot. I cant totally spin it around like I have seen in some youtube videos. My AC has been having issues with it working initially then gets warm after 15 minutes. Worse in stop and go, but even on the highway. Should I replace it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n