Famous Clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crownvic31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello
I been having the famous clunk when coming to a stop or when launching. I have greased the slip yoke in the pass and it improved the situation for a few days. I would like to fix this for good. I understand there is a nickel plated slip yoke that will resolve this? Any one have a part # for this for my 07 escalade AWD?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello
I been having the famous clunk when coming to a stop or when launching. I have greased the slip yoke in the pass and it improved the situation for a few days. I would like to fix this for good. I understand there is a nickel plated slip yoke that will resolve this? Any one have a part # for this for my 07 escalade AWD?
It's more likely that your problem is coming from worn/dried out front diff mounts on that particular vehicle.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello
Not supposed to put grease on the slip yoke going into the transfer case as it contaminates the fluid and can clog the pump.

Most times that clunk is because of the driver's side engine mount and next on the list are the mounts for the front differential.

1667975831665.png

OP
OP
C

crownvic31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And you guys were right! Went out side real quick and got under the escalade. Realized that the driver side bracket has a good amount of play in it. Also realized a small drip of fluid from the passenger side front differential axle. I am guessing that is the seal.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue on my 07, and after replacing the slip yoke, and all rear drive shaft universals without resolving the issue, the source of the issue ended up being the front differential mounts. The mounts are comprised of 2 metal arms about 1 foot+ long, and bushings pressed into each end.

OP
OP
C

crownvic31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, so picked up the escalade last night from mechanic. Things didn't go as smooth. So when dropping the front diff to replace the brackets, mechanic noticed a diff leak on the end of the diff passenger side which was the seal. So I gave him the ok to replace the bearing and seals on that side as well as on the driver side. Figured that at 120k miles do both while at it. Happens that on one side the T-tab locking adjuster was broken. So in order to replace that he had to tear down the diff to get that into place. Anyways, that was done. We also went ahead and replaced front driver side wheel hub and both left and right tie rod ends.

No there is a problem. Drove the truck to work this morning as I was going to drop off at alignment shop and I noticed a heavy burning smell from the front driver side wheel and also the rim was extremely hot. All other rims were nice and cool and no funky smell. Is this possibly a bad new wheel bearing or am I now having brake issues?

By the way, the clunk noise is GONE!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt