Factory oil on new vehicles . It’s base stock is made from natural gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbpat1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We purchased two new GM vehicles this year, a 2018 Tahoe & a 2018 Acadia. I just recently did the first oil change at 5000 miles on both of them. On the Tahoe I used Pennzoil Platinum and on the Acadia I used Mobil 1. On both vehicles I noticed that both engines quieted down significantly. Not that they were loud to begin with, but, what little bit of engine noise there was before the oil change had almost all but disappeared. It also seemed to me that both vehicles seemed like they ran a little bit easier than before. The Tahoe used to have a little bit of a groan when you accelerated, but, now doesn’t make that noise. You can barely hear the motor running, just the exhaust. I know that GM requires the use of Dexos 2 rated oil whether it’s full synthetic or synthetic/Dino blend, but, I thought they would use better oil in their new vehicles. My wife’s Corvette came with Mobil 1 and was told she could use Mobil 1 and only Mobil 1. I’m not comfortable with ten thousand mile oil changes, I change oil at five thousand miles with synthetic. I’ve been told I’m throwing away money by changing oil too often, but, I figure better safe than sorry.

Has anyone else had same or similar experience with different oil than GM factory fill? I used to be an Amsoil person, but, it got to be a hassle ordering through the internet. Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum are readily available at any Walmart or any auto parts store. The Pennzoil Platinum seems to be an even better product than Mobil 1 according to some info out there. It’s base stock is made from natural gas and is more pure than other synthetics.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being an LS1 owner I know that everyone in the communities with these LSX performance motors (LS1, 2, 3, 7, 9, etc), swears by Mobile 1. Most enthusiast change their oil every 3k ~ 5k miles. I change the oil in my TA once a year even though I hardly put 500 miles on it during a 12 month span. I'm worried about moisture getting in the block since the car sits for months at a time without running.

I've been changing the oil in my Suburban every 3k~4k and I have been using Mobile 1. I'm going to switch to 5w-20 for a little added protection now that I am over 20k miles. GM recommends 0w-20 I believe in order to meet fuel consumption numbers - the thinner oil lets the motor spin more free. But I'll give up a couple miles per gallon for engine protection and longevity. I can't say the engine is quieter but I can tell you that what sounded like engine knock under load, seemed to have disappeared after the switch to the mobile 1.

OP
OP
C

cbpat1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Being an LS1 owner I know that everyone in the communities with these LSX performance motors (LS1, 2, 3, 7, 9, etc), swears by Mobile 1. Most enthusiast change their oil every 3k ~ 5k miles. I change the oil in my TA once a year even though I hardly put 500 miles on it during a 12 month span. I'm worried about moisture getting in the block since the car sits for months at a time without running.

I've been changing the oil in my Suburban every 3k~4k and I have been using Mobile 1. I'm going to switch to 5w-20 for a little added protection now that I am over 20k miles. GM recommends 0w-20 I believe in order to meet fuel consumption numbers - the thinner oil lets the motor spin more free. But I'll give up a couple miles per gallon for engine protection and longevity. I can't say the engine is quieter but I can tell you that what sounded like engine knock under load, seemed to have disappeared after the switch to the mobile 1.[/QUOTE

It seems that there are better lubricants out there than the OEM. From what info I have been able to gather the Acadia at least came with a synthetic blend, I’m not sure about the Tahoe, but, I would have thought for what they charge for these vehicles they would at least start new owners out with a top quality full synthetic oil.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Send a sample off to blackstone labs instead of guessing, or going off of word of mouth.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All motors like clean oil. 5K miles is dirty oil and mine certainly runs better with fresh oil pumping through it. I reckon these lighter weight oils while still protecting the engine, will offer better performance when changed sooner.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used Mobil 1 5w30 in my previous years on the older body Yukon's no issues and now i am switching to 0W20 which is GM recommended for MY15 and up

About a month ago my idiot dealer put in 5w30 Mobil 1 in instead of 0w20. Upon start up [for a few short seconds] the engine sounded strange almost like a scraping sound plus the engine sounded slightly noisier]. I took the 5w30 out and put in 0w20 Mobil 1 EP. The engine got nice and quiet again immediately.

Reaction score
About a month ago my idiot dealer put in 5w30 Mobil 1 in instead of 0w20. Upon start up [for a few short seconds] the engine sounded strange almost like a scraping sound plus the engine sounded slightly noisier]. I took the 5w30 out and put in 0w20 Mobil 1 EP. The engine got nice and quiet again immediately.
i agree MOBIL1 0w20 is the way to go...i am going to start doing it on my own. how many miles do you usually go on yours until you change it? 5k ?

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i agree MOBIL1 0w20 is the way to go...i am going to start doing it on my own. how many miles do you usually go on yours until you change it? 5k ?

5K miles. I can probably go longer but I sleep better doing it 5K miles since it has Direct Injection. The OLM is generally around 35 percent at that time. Sometimes slightly higher and sometimes slightly lower.