Factory alarm randomly turns on randomly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tkdgirl

Reaction score
So this just started. After I exited Yuk ok n XL and lock with the fob, the alarm comes on around 5 min later.

Just got a new battery a few weeks ago and all connections were cleaned. Any ideas,?

2011 XL Denali.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this just started. After I exited Yuk ok n XL and lock with the fob, the alarm comes on around 5 min later.

Just got a new battery a few weeks ago and all connections were cleaned. Any ideas,?

2011 XL Denali.
Could be a bad door or hood switch. Is there a light on in the car when the alarm is going off?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just replicated it. All the dome lights come on.
Silly me - the light comes on when the alarm is triggered anyway. Still, it's most likely a hood or door sensor/switch that's causing the problem. A Tech 2 scanner will let you see what messages are being logged by the BCM and security components for a proper diagnosis, but it's a good bet.

OP
OP
tkdgirl

tkdgirl

Reaction score
Silly me - the light comes on when the alarm is triggered anyway. Still, it's most likely a hood or door sensor/switch that's causing the problem. A Tech 2 scanner will let you see what messages are being logged by the BCM and security components for a proper diagnosis, but it's a good bet.
Stopped by my mechanic friend and hexsprated some cleaner in the hood and door sensor. Will test again tomorrow.

OP
OP
tkdgirl

tkdgirl

Reaction score
Cleaning didn't fix it.it now happens every time I lock it with the fob. Alarm lasts for a minute or so then stops.

OP
OP
tkdgirl

tkdgirl

Reaction score
Still happening with both FOBs. Also, horn beeps 3 times when unlocking. Amy other suggestions before I bring it in for a tech2 scan?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still happening with both FOBs. Also, horn beeps 3 times when unlocking. Amy other suggestions before I bring it in for a tech2 scan?

When this happens to me it's usually a door lock actuator. Next time it happens check all the door locks and see if one is sticking up even though you locked the truck. That will be the tell tale if it is one of the actuators.

If that is the case, you can manually lock the offending door until you get it fixed. However more than likely if this IS the case, you will also have to manually unlock the offending door as well to open it. But they are the tell tale signs if it is a actuator going out on you. :)