1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exhaust System Replacement

Discussion in 'Performance' started by 3dirtwheels, Oct 10, 2020.

Sponsored By: Black Bear Performance
  1. 3dirtwheels

3dirtwheels TYF Newbie

Name:
    Dirt
    Hey, I’ve got the 383 installed and running. What’s the best way to do the exhaust? I would love dual exhaust but that’s dual cat’s. I’d love to hear what you have that works well or get some advice.

The engine will never have more than 400 hp, I will use it off road and prefer a quieted growl that still says hotrodish.

thanks!

2. iCajun

iCajun Member

Name:
    Alan
    I have a 502 with dual 3" exhaust. A universal cat and Flowmaster 70 on each side. The 70's are a very tight fit and not nearly as quiet as I thought they would be.

3. east302

east302 Full Access Member

Name:
    east302
    How did you set that up? Keep the two catalytic converters in the stock location and add two mufflers for a true dual?

I’ve wondered if there was room for a setup like that, seems like the gas tank doesn’t leave a lot of room for the second muffler on the two doors.

4. iCajun

iCajun Member

Name:
    Alan
    This was an evolution, not a well thought out plan. Started with long tube headers, a Flowmaster 10 on each side and duals out the rear, nothing is in the stock location. I don’t have a photo but I’ll try and describe the present configuration. On each side, from the header is a couple feet of 3” pipe with an O2 bung welded in to get past the transfer case, then a universal catalytic about the size of a football, then the Flowmaster 70 between the floor and crossmember, 2.5” exhaust pipe goes under the axle and out the rear.