Exhaust Hanger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently installed new exhaust system and I have a slight vibration at idle from one of the pipes after the muffler slightly touching the frame. It’s soo slight but enough to make a big rattle on occasion. Not all the time. Is there an easy way to stretch the rubber hanger just to have more clearance? The pipe does not touch when not running. I was thinking maybe getting a bar between the pipe and the frame to stretch. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about if you placed some washers between the that specific hanger and the truck body where it bolts into? This will in effect lower the pipe in relation to the truck body. Depending upon how much you have to lower the hanger to stop the pipe from contacting the frame, you may need to get longer bolts, if the space to be created by the washers is to large for the existing bolts, but I doubt it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loosen all the bolts, get a big ass pry bar, pry it down and retighten the bolts.

1sikryd

Reaction score
They sell different length hangers at any parts store, even Amazon.
upload_2019-8-22_18-11-47.png

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alot of times when the exhaust is made stored and shipped the bars on the exhaust can get bumped a bit here and there. alot of times i just give those a slight bend here and there and get the position just right. you can bend that bar upwards and it will let that part of the exhaust hang a bit farther. the nub or hook on the end of the bar will stop it from sliding out unless you go pretty crazy with bending those bars.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pic of problem area?

I vote longer hanger or bending the hook(s). You're not gonna be able to stretch the rubber hanger and make it stay. That stuff is like truck tire rubber.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loosen all the bolts, get a big ass pry bar, pry it down and retighten the bolts.
What I meant was to loosen the exhaust pipe bolts and do this. Mine was doing the same thing but it’s American Racing headers with dual pipes to the muffler. I was able to loosen all the bolts and clamps holding the individual parts together, pry the pipe away from the cross member and retighten everything and it stayed. You might be able to do the same thing. Sometimes it’s just that something was too close to something else when the bolts and clamps were tightened and it stayed there.

OP
OP
Bob2C

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the all the suggestions. The weird thing is that it doesn’t do it all the time. I can move the pipe and it doesn’t hit. But for some reason at times it vibrates on the frame. Then it will stop. Just annoying. Here is a picture

4037d391cea45837b182f3ab4fdd073c.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the all the suggestions. The weird thing is that it doesn’t do it all the time. I can move the pipe and it doesn’t hit. But for some reason at times it vibrates on the frame. Then it will stop. Just annoying. Here is a picture

4037d391cea45837b182f3ab4fdd073c.jpg

Exhaust components move a considerable amount as they expand and contract from heating and cooling. I'd see about doing as Mark suggested with loosening the joints to flex it down and then tightening in place. Maybe a connection further up the line from that hanger has enough give in it to allow clearance. Otherwise, you could replace the hanger with a longer one (probably easiest and fastest option) or bend both of those hooks (top one down, lower one up) to fix it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094