Escalade roof rack side bars compatible with Z71 rack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J Mac

Reaction score
I'm looking for a Sub LTZ roof rack with the stainless side bars...very hard to find. So that got me to wondering if the stainless Escalade side bars are the same as the LTZ ones? Looking at diagrams, there seems to be 'tabs' at both ends of the Escalade bars where it mounts to the roof. Are those removable and then the bars are the same as LTZ? I have a Z71 rack on my Yukon already but really want those stainless side bars. There is an Escalade being parted out locally but I don't want to buy the rack if it won't work how I want. Anyone that swapped an Escalade roof rack recall if those ends are removable?

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Z71 racks are in high demand... If a change to Esky rack works out for you, be sure to post your Z71 rack on the forum. Ask a fair price and I am sure it would be snatched up in a hurry.

My 04 Z71 was minus the rack when I bought it.
The footprint of the mounting holes in the roof seem pretty wide to accommodate the beefy Z71 mounting hardware.

My guess is that you might get a couple holes on an Esky rack to line up, but you may be left with a couple extras outside the footprint of the Esky mounts.
If that happens, no biggie... I would leave the rivnuts in the roof, scuff and paint them so they don't rust, shoot some silicone in the holes, then plug with stainless screws (PO used stainless Allen head screws on mine - looked nice and finished).

OP
OP
J Mac

J Mac

Reaction score
I'm keeping the Z71 rack...I'm just wondering if the Escalade side bars would fit or could be easily modified to fit the Z71 rack. Stainless side bars in place of black side bars. I love the Z71 rack...that roller in the back make it's super easy loading kayaks or lumber on the rack!

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are looking at those low-profile ones that lay flat on the edge of the roof...
I don't believe you would be able to keep the Z71 rack and swap out just the sidebars from the Esky.

The end caps and mounting brackets are completely different.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm keeping the Z71 rack...I'm just wondering if the Escalade side bars would fit or could be easily modified to fit the Z71 rack. Stainless side bars in place of black side bars. I love the Z71 rack...that roller in the back make it's super easy loading kayaks or lumber on the rack!
Do you mean the cross bars that carry your gear, or the rails that bolt to the roof? I'm guessing you mean the cross bars, but it isn't clear to me, I am sorry.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mean the cross bars that carry your gear, or the rails that bolt to the roof? I'm guessing you mean the cross bars, but it isn't clear to me, I am sorry.
Text can be tough to sort out details sometimes...
Mentions Esky "stainless steel sidebars" in post and title.

It looks like the main rails that run along the roof from front to back.

I am pretty sure the footprints of the mounting hardware at front and back of those rails are different than the Z71 mounts.
I think a couple holes might line up, but there might be a couple that don't. Might have to plug some up or possibly install riv-nuts in places they don't exist now.
Either way, I don't think there is a direct swap in terms of lining up mounting plates and screw locations.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking side bars were the pieces running from side to side, and the items bolted to the roof were rails. That's why I was confused. I reference them as rails because the cross bars slide on them. And in my mind, cross bars could equal side bars. Does that make sense?

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking side bars were the pieces running from side to side, and the items bolted to the roof were rails. That's why I was confused. I reference them as rails because the cross bars slide on them. And in my mind, cross bars could equal side bars. Does that make sense?
Yes. Opportunity for confusion all over the place.
My interpretation was that he was looking to go with that sleek, low-profile look the Esky racks offer while maintaining the robust functionality of the Z71 roller.

A swap would be possible, but would be all or nothing and would probably include some modification to mounting screw locations.

The mounts are so different, I don't see how he could have his cake and eat it too. I don't see any way to make the Esky low-profile rails work with the Z71 racking or mounts.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They won't work and be interchangeable as bits and pieces. The height of the Z-71 rack it taller than the esky rack. They will bolt right in place and be interchangeable that way, but the Z-71 rack has 2 additional holes on the back to accommodate the wide base by the roller bar. You'd have to seal them off with something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts