Entry Level Performance Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoutDrama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any entry level performance mods like air intake and/or exhaust worth it? If so, are there any you can recommend? Working on getting a catch can installed as well.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put some of your specs in your signature so we can see exactly what
we are working with...
That being said, A "tune" would be your best money spent, period...
The air intakes are bulky, but not restrictive..
Exhaust would depend on your exact model , etc

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I was going to suggest a tune as well. I’ve heard good things about Black Bear, but I’m still a little stingy and haven’t coughed up the $500 for it.

Someone just shed light on a Dual Throttle Body intake manifold. Darn thing is about $1500 (not to mention the extra TB, etc).

I like the sound of the cold air intake, but I’m not sure if it helps over a quality, dry, high flow filter? Others will chime in to this.

How about a shorter final drive ratio for some better “get up and go?”

I’m enjoying the Borla XR1 muffler. At WOT it will increase your exhaust velocity (even if you don’t have a muffler).

If you haven’t changed your spark plugs in awhile, that’ll help.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any entry level performance mods like air intake and/or exhaust worth it? If so, are there any you can recommend? Working on getting a catch can installed as well.

As Tom and Jason said, the tune should be the first thing you do as it lays the foundation for all future modifications. In my opinion, the best part of the tune is in the performance of the transmission. I was completely happy with the way my truck drove before having Justin at BlackBear tune them and blown away by what he did to both afterwards. My truck is rated at 310 horsepower SAE Net and puts down 307 through the traps at the drag strip after the tune. That's some good tunin'! New cats and y-pipe and the tune are the only modifications made thus far.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others have said... Make sure all your maint is done.. Plugs, wires, trans fluid,
differential fluids, transfer case, coolant, oil. And all filters are new..
Then you have a good base.
Then do the Tune... You can then "add" things that just make you happy!!!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^ ->> Tune

A tune (~$600 from Black Bear Performance) is the best mod for the dollar you can make, and with a Black Bear Performance tune, you can receive free tune adjustments for the life of your truck, every time that you make a subsequent mod that could generate additional horsepower and torque with a tune adjustment. Depending on the year of your truck, the tune could also greatly improve transmission shifting performance, as the transmission computer can also be adjusted with a tune.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tune is by far the best bang-for-the-buck.

You will gain virtually nothing from an air intake other than sound and looks. Same with exhaust. Making it sound better is always a plus in my book. But, there's no real performance here, so spend wisely. A ~$50 muffler is all you need. No reason to replace the piping (as with a cat back) unless yours is rusted or damaged. The factory setup is about as "cold" air as you can get, assuming the seal to the fender is good. Anything that doesn't seal will cost you power.

Peacock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black Bear did an air intake dyno comparison and it clearly showed decent improvements in hp and torque per dollar spent, that and a free flowing muffler like the Jones jfp300 make a noticeable difference in sound and performance.
I did those two mods before getting the Black Bear tuner, the way I see it is that the previous mods change the characteristics over the stock configuration and would affect how the new tune would be calibrated, so why do the tune first only to have to get it retuned again after those two mods were installed.
Also the air intake system and the muffler are a cheaper way to start, muffler is about $30 bucks and the AFE power momentum GT was $400 (that one showed the biggest hp and tq increase on that dyno comparison).
Good luck picking up some speed !

Reaction score
Black Bear did an air intake dyno comparison and it clearly showed decent improvements in hp and torque per dollar spent, that and a free flowing muffler like the Jones jfp300 make a noticeable difference in sound and performance.
I did those two mods before getting the Black Bear tuner, the way I see it is that the previous mods change the characteristics over the stock configuration and would affect how the new tune would be calibrated, so why do the tune first only to have to get it retuned again after those two mods were installed.
Also the air intake system and the muffler are a cheaper way to start, muffler is about $30 bucks and the AFE power momentum GT was $400 (that one showed the biggest hp and tq increase on that dyno comparison).
Good luck picking up some speed !
How much is gained from this $400 air intake? Do you have a link to the Blackbear dyno comparisons?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC