Engine replacement labor costs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
shit, I'm with @iamdub, and I hate working on this shit :violin2: , but damnit for $1800 I would do it.
I'll even include the labor of replacing the torque converter and the pump seal (if 6 speed since it's easy) in that price. :jester:
$1800 is cheap. The hours for that sounds like my labor rate at home of $100. For a shop, likely charging $150 to $200, that $1800 is cheap. Better get a list of what will be done for that price.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$1800 is cheap. The hours for that sounds like my labor rate at home of $100. For a shop, likely charging $150 to $200, that $1800 is cheap. Better get a list of what will be done for that price.

Mine was labor only to install provided engine with all new seals and fluids. I just figured two 12-hour days at $75/hour. Remove the engine, replace all the seals on the replacement engine and install it. Top off all fluids, etc. (provided by customer) and have it 100% ready to return to service. As for replacing the other stuff that should be done while it's out, that can all be negotiated. A few would be freebies, such as engine mounts, torque converter and input shaft seal and O-ring- quick and easy things like that.

Last edited:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got hit with a 10k quote to replace a 09 yukon xl denali engine. In northeast Oklahoma couple days ago
Back in 2012, I paid $6500 (parts and labor) for a GM reman with a 100,000 mile warranty in our 2007 Denali. With inflation the way it’s been, $10K doesn’t seem too far out of line, but still it’s enough to give a guy pause.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Mine was labor only to install provided engine with all new seals and fluids. I just figured two 12-hour days at $75/hour. Remove the engine, replace all the seals on the replacement engine and install it. Top off all fluids, etc. (provided by customer) and have it 100% ready to return to service. As for replacing the other stuff that should be done while it's out, that can all be negotiated. A few would be freebies, such as engine mounts, torque converter and input shaft seal and O-ring- quick and easy things like that.
You are gonna charge what you think is fair to you and the customer. With my labor of $100 an hour, I am gonna estimate between 24 to 30 hours. If I get done way quicker, I will adjust accordingly but if close, I stick to my estimate. After all, I paid good money to have the tools to do the job and I am saving the customer between $50 to $100 an hour and have the same qualifications.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Welcome bobeque1 from soak’n wet SoCal. Any backstory on needing to replace the motor? 2 or 4WD? It’s a bummer to lay out the dough, but the opportunity to install a motor without AFM on a last year, Gen 4 Tahoe is the making of a 200k+ mile truck.

These GM motors are so stout that reasonable replacement options range from preloved, non AFM 6.2L from 07-09 SUV + 07-13 trucks or the 11-13 2500 / 3500 trucks non AFM 6.0L. All are bolt in. The 6.0L runs on Reg & e85.

If you had an Indi tech source a preloved 6.0L or 6.2L you could spend the savings on those motor mounts, torque conv, rear main seal, pan gasket and all those parts that last 100k mi like when the truck was new. Avoid labor, try to make this a pull out, drop in scenario. It’s in the equation, if an Indi does the job using a preloved motor, it’ll actually increase the value of the truck equivalent to the 4-$6k you’d invest doing it.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are gonna charge what you think is fair to you and the customer. With my labor of $100 an hour, I am gonna estimate between 24 to 30 hours. If I get done way quicker, I will adjust accordingly but if close, I stick to my estimate. After all, I paid good money to have the tools to do the job and I am saving the customer between $50 to $100 an hour and have the same qualifications.

1. I often don't value myself enough. With bigger side hustles over the weekend (auto mechanics or not), I aim for $1K a day. I'll take $900/day playing in my own shop doing something fairly routine.

2. This sort of job is kinda fun and I have a 2-post lift and chainfall that make it all a one-man affair. Plus I've done it a few times and have some methods to make it flow. Hell, I even have markings on the floor outlining the balance points of a Tahoe with and without an engine. :yaoface2:

3. All that's needed tool-wise are full ratchet and wrench sets, some impact sockets, torque wrenches, protractor, 3-jaw puller, metric ruler, some screwdrivers (mostly as small pry tools), some Torx drivers and a bungee cord.

I'm not saying your quote is high and you're saying my quote is low. I'm agreeing. :yaoface2:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. I often don't value myself enough. With bigger side hustles over the weekend (auto mechanics or not), I aim for $1K a day. I'll take $900/day playing in my own shop doing something fairly routine.

2. This sort of job is kinda fun and I have a 2-post lift and chainfall that make it all a one-man affair. Plus I've done it a few times and have some methods to make it flow. Hell, I even have markings on the floor outlining the balance points of a Tahoe with and without an engine. :yaoface2:

3. All that's needed tool-wise are full ratchet and wrench sets, some impact sockets, torque wrenches, protractor, 3-jaw puller, metric ruler, some screwdrivers (mostly as small pry tools), some Torx drivers and a bungee cord.

I'm not saying your quote is high and you're saying my quote is low. I'm agreeing. :yaoface2:
I'll be over this weekend then! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401